Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNS Search order accross two networks

I'm stuck on one issue with setting up the DNS for my network. I have two networks, one is ethernet (for the internal company network, servers and LDAP), the other is the WiFi for internet access. What I can't figure out is how can I have a DNS search on the Ethernet's network first and if it does not find the route, go out to the WiFi second?

The DNS works correctly on my OSX Server machine and when I have a client machine that is on the internal ethernet network only. The problem comes when I try to add the client machine on to the WiFi too.

In the Network panel on the client machine, if I make the WiFi first, internet servers resolve fine but the internal network breaks. I switch them around and put the ethernet first, the internal network works but the WiFi DNS breaks.

Any thought on how to make the two co-exist and search one domain then the other?

Thanks,

-R

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 4:20 PM

5 replies

Jul 25, 2013 7:21 PM in response to renderbox

So the problem is that you can't have a different DNS for each network?

Look at it this way. Suppose your web browser makes a request for a page at foo.com. The name goes to the DNS client to be resolved. Without resolving it, the client would have no way of knowing whether foo.com is on the Ether network or the Wi-Fi network. It needs to get the IP address from a DNS server before it can make that determination. So it's impossible for it to query different servers depending on the domain. It queries one server for all domains.

What DNS server do your coworkers use?

DNS Search order accross two networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.