Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you do an audio to score in Logic Pro X?

I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to perform the "audio to score" function in Logic Pro X. I often used this feature in Logic 8 & 9 to convert audio basslines to midi files. It appears that this feature is left out of Logic Pro X. Any ideas?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 6:08 PM

It's in a different place now, but works great. Double click your audio track>in the Audio Track Editor enable Flex Pitch>that windows Edit menu contains what you're looking for. It creates an nice electric piano midi track directly beneath the selected track, awesome!

12 replies

Aug 13, 2013 8:43 AM in response to TheWitness

Hi - I found this post when I had the same problem but still having a problem making it work. Can't find anything in the manual about this either.

When I open Audio Editor as described, I see MIDI data on grid superimposed over ghost of the audio file. I have selected Flex Pitch under Track in Audio Editor, but can't figure out how to edit parameters or convert to MIDI track. Where do you edit parameters and then convert?

Thanks.

Aug 18, 2013 5:43 PM in response to normbias

normbias wrote:

Thanks Ahrenshof! I have now been able to convert audio to MIDI but I still can't find where I adjust parameters before I do the converting.

Why would Logic change this concept and then hide this so deeply? This is a great feature and shouldn't be buried and so obscure.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you want to adjust before converting. Once you have converted the Audio to MIDI, you should have a new MIDI track(electric piano) directly beneath your Audio track which you can adjust to your hearts content...

Aug 20, 2013 12:17 PM in response to Ahrenshof

Thanks for your response.

When I had first had success making a MIDI file from audio, it was using a snare audio track as my source. The MIDI triggers were way off though, not even close to the snare. The paramaters that would usually be available to edit are things like velocity and sensitivity, and that is one thing I am trying to find.

I'm trying to understand the relationship between Flex tools and Audio to MIDI functions. Is it Analyze that I must do first in order for Logic to determine where the MIDI triggers of the snare should be? When I select Analyze Audio for Flex Editing, the next menu option to Create MIDI Track from Flex Pitch Data then becomes unavailable.

Maybe I'm making this more compicated somehow but the Create MIDI Track option is greyed out and I can't figure out how to 1) analyze the audio to determine where MIDI triggers are 2) create MIDI from that audio.

Aug 20, 2013 4:51 PM in response to normbias

Try pg. 171 in the users guide.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/logic_pro_x_user_guide.pdf

Using drum replacement, you can replace individual drum sounds on an audio track without re-recording the entire track. To replace or double the drum sounds, you use an audio track that contains a recording of a single drum (or other percussion instrument) to create a software instrument track with matching MIDI trigger notes. The software instrument track plays drum samples using the EXS24 mkII.

Hide

Replace or double a recorded drum signal

1. Select the audio track with the drum recording.User uploaded file
  2. Choose Track > Replace or Double Drum Track (or use the corresponding key command).The following changes take place in the Tracks area:
    • All files on the selected audio track are analyzed for transients (if they have not been previously analyzed). The selected track is vertically zoomed.
    • A software instrument track is created below the audio track, and the EXS24 is inserted into the Instrument slot.
    • The Library opens with the EXS24 selected, so that you can choose the sound that best matches the project.
    • A MIDI region containing trigger notes based on the detected transients is created on the software instrument track.
    • The Drum Replacement/Doubling dialog opens.

How do you do an audio to score in Logic Pro X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.