Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install Vista on OS X 10.8.4?

I have my old vista box with a key that'll work. I was told that OS X 10.8.4 only allows one to use windows 7 through boot camp. I have the windows 7 upgrade, but I would need to install Vista before I could upgrade. Is there any way I can do this or do I need to spend the extra $150 to buy yet another disk?

MacBook Pro, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 8:23 PM

6 replies

Jul 25, 2013 8:40 PM in response to Zaise

You have the box but does this mean you also have the disk? Im gathering from your question that you don't. If you only have a Windows 7 upgrade disk and not a vista disk then you would need to purchase either a full copy of Vista or a full copy of windows 7 (or 8 if you're so inclined). The upgrade disk requires the previous version to be installed prior.

Jul 25, 2013 8:58 PM in response to Zaise

I do believe the Boot Camp on Mac OS X Mountain Lion only supports Windows 7 and Windows 8. However, there are other options if you want to install Windows Vista such as Parallels which allows you to create a virtual machine and run Windows Vista there.

Jul 26, 2013 5:45 AM in response to Zaise

If you don't mind spending the time. You can install Windows 7 on the blank drive. When you get to the point where it asks for the key, just click next (don't enter anything). It will allow you to perform the installation, but it will require that you enter the key and activate with a few days... but this won't work for you as you'll get a message indicating your key is for an "upgrade" only. Now, while you're in Windows, launch the Windows installer again from the DVD. This time, choose an "upgrade" installation. When promted for your key, your upgrade key will now work.

Basically, Windows just looks to see if there is an existing version of an OS installed (activated or not). You're using the first Windows installation as the previous version. Microsoft has recommended this method for similar situations.

How do I install Vista on OS X 10.8.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.