Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 09 tiered list issue

Need to be able to do this in a tiered list:

Header 3 Header 4 Header 5 Header 6 Header 7 Header 8 Header 9 Header 10 Header 11 Header 12
3. a)
b)
c)
5. a)
b)
c)

If there is a way to to it currently I would love to hear it.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 5:24 AM

In Pages you set styles by example.

Select the text > Inspector > Text > List > set each level the way you want it:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Then save as a List Style in the Styles Drawer:

User uploaded file

Peter

4 replies

Jul 31, 2013 6:54 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks for the reply Peter I'm aware of the functionality you described.

However when you have set up a custom list is there a way of using it to achieve the result in my origninal post? Eg. notice how the number 3 in my original post has the next tier of the list (letters) starting directly from that point, rather than in your example where every list item in the first tier of the list must have contents, followed by the next tier items.

I hope that makes sense, basically if I have a list of questions labelled 1. 2. 3a. 3b. 3c. (but no 3.) I want a list that enables me to insert answers for all these questions.

Edit: Also another question, when you make cutom lists as you have described, they seem to only be available for the document they were created in, is there any way to make a global custom list that can be used in all Pages documents?

Jul 31, 2013 7:25 PM in response to My name is Jason

No, because that would be 2 levels on one paragraph.

You can work around it by manually inserting the a after a tab and starting the next indent at b instead of a.

You would not want the consequences of global styles. You would unknowingly be changing documents you don't have open, altering their appearance and layout. Great way to chase your tail and ruin all previous work!

Styles can be imported from one document to another, but creating templates is the best solution.

Peter

Pages 09 tiered list issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.