Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac reads DVD as blank

I just a received a Verbatim 16x DVD-R full of .pdf articles from a genelogical group.

My iMac (2008 Duo Core--10.8.4 Mountain Lion) with an OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A reads the disc as blank

My wifes iMac (2007 Duo Core--10.6.8 Snow Leopard) with a MatshitaDVD-R can read the articles.

Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 5:04 AM

2 replies

Jul 26, 2013 6:12 AM in response to ReidMac

Do any other DVDs work with the iMac, if not then your drive may need cleaning or replacing. You can go to your local office supply store and ask for a CD/DVD cleaning kit. Otherwise your system could simply be sensitive to that media and still need a cleaning if the media works in other computers. the lasers get dirty on CD/DVD drives, SuperDrives are no different than any other.

Jul 26, 2013 6:32 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the reply. I just put a movie DVD in the computer and it played without any problems. I haven't played "tons" of DVDs on this computer but have never had this problem before. Could there be a conflict between the OPTIARC drive and the Verbatim 16x DVR?

I just sent an e-mail to the manfacturer/supplier of the DVD asking about the problem.

iMac reads DVD as blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.