Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

on my Macbook Pro my cursor jumps around and does it's own thing even with a usb mouse, on my Macbook Pro my cursor jumps around and does it's own thing even with a usb mouse

Having trouble with my MacBook Pro and the cursor jumping around and doing it's own thing. Clicking opening up other folders etc.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 7:31 AM

2 replies

Jul 26, 2013 10:33 AM in response to cubbycakes

There are several possible causes for this issue. Take each of the following steps until it's resolved.

1. Follow the instructions in this support article.

2. Boot in safe mode and test, preferably without launching any third-party applications. If you don't have the problem in safe mode, but it comes back when you reboot as usual, stop here and post your results. If you can't boot in safe mode, do the same. If you booted in safe mode and there was no change, go on to the next step.

3. Reset the System Management Controller.

4. If you're using a Bluetooth trackpad, investigate potential sources of interference, including USB 3 devices.

5. A swollen battery in a MacBook Pro or Air can impinge on the trackpad from below and cause erratic behavior. If you have trouble clicking the trackpad, this is likely the reason. The battery must be replaced.

6. There's a report that a (possibly defective) Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter can cause the built in trackpad of a MacBook to behave erratically. If you're using such an adapter, disconnect it and test.

7. There's also a report of erratic cursor movements caused by an external display that was connected but not turned on.

8. If none of the above applies, or if you have another reason to think your computer is being remotely controlled, remove it from the network by turning off Wi-Fi (or your Wi-Fi access point), disconnecting from a Bluetooth network link, and unplugging the Ethernet cable or USB modem, whichever is applicable. If the cursor movements stop at once, you should suspect an intrusion.

9. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine tested.

on my Macbook Pro my cursor jumps around and does it's own thing even with a usb mouse, on my Macbook Pro my cursor jumps around and does it's own thing even with a usb mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.