Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod won't sync to iTunes - Please help! Tried everything

My iPod won't sync to iTunes. I pug it into the computer, the computer recognizes the device. It automatically opens iTunes once it's plugged in. I was able to system restore via iTunes when the iPod was connected and it wiped the iPod. But when I hit sync it doesn't sync. When I hit the sync button for about 5 seconds the wheel will rotate on the iPod screen and say "syncing" but nothing happens on the iTunes side, (you know normally when your iPod is syncing at the top of the iTunes window it will say "syncing" and you can see the process happening as it quickly runs through the new music it is uploading, this doesn't happen.) I tried restarting the iPod and the computer, system reset, I checked in the control panel to make sure the apple device was started, (which it was,) and even bought a new sync cord to be sure. Nothing. Any ideas?

iPod classic

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 8:07 AM

19 replies

Jan 11, 2014 4:26 AM in response to Mocina

I was running into the same/similar problem. Is this a new computer but old ipod? In other words, does your ipod contain music from a previous pc? If so, that might be the problem. I bought a new pc and adequately transferred my music from old pc to new pc. My itunes library on new pc was where I wanted it to be. But when I tried to sync my ipod later, it wouldn't sync. Would stop at first step like yours was doing.

If this is the case with you, open your ipod information on itunes. It will automatically be on "Summary". Click on "Music". You will see a box labeled "Sync Music". Click on that box. Then you have the option of checking "Entire Music Library" or "Selected playlists.....". I chose entire library. When you sync, it will warn you that you will be erasing contents of ipod and replacing with contents of this itunes library. Like I said, my library was good. So I chose ok. It synced fine after that.

Feb 2, 2014 10:02 PM in response to Mocina

I have the exact same problem, rstadler. I moved all of my music from my desktop to this laptop, and now it doesn't seem to show the 'iPod" button. I tried reconnecting and reconnecting but iTunes doesn't show anny sign of change. It only charges my iPod, and shows a folder with a disk drive in it. Is there any way to fix this? (or disable disk use without iTunes??)

Feb 10, 2014 5:30 AM in response to LoserDude63

Thanks LoserDude63.

I tried everything, even Jenny's advice above and nothing worked. I had sucessfully transferred my whole library over to my new computer itunes but could not get my gen 2 touch to synch with it. It would connect for a few seconds then go out. I did manage to get an error message that said my ipod was synched with another computers itunes library but no directions on synching with the new itunes. So I followed your directions and Presto!! The only thing I forgot was my purchased videos, I still have around 12 videos of tv series that didn't transfer so I have to figure out a way to restore that. I do still have them in my old pc library.

iPod won't sync to iTunes - Please help! Tried everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.