Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling Dictionary App?

Hi,

I've been using cleanmymac or ccleaner to cache from my computer and I think the dictionaries on my dictionary app got deleted 😟

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

How can I reinstall this without reinstalling my whole mac and just the dictionary?

I tried reinstalling using the built-in recovery function but there doesn't seem to be an option.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 9:13 AM

5 replies

Jul 26, 2013 2:45 PM in response to brian0306

There is no installer DVD for Lion or Mtn Lion. However, although Apple fails to mention it, the DL'd installer can be saved to someplace other than Applications and it won't be blown away by the ill-programmed one during installation. That advice has been on many forums since Lion shipped. Sorry you have to restore the OS using Apple's ill-conceived Internet delibvery system.

Jul 26, 2013 3:12 PM in response to brian0306

brian0306 wrote:

Hi,

I've been using cleanmymac or ccleaner to cache from my computer and I think the dictionaries on my dictionary app got deleted 😟

How can I reinstall this without reinstalling my whole mac and just the dictionary?

I tried reinstalling using the built-in recovery function but there doesn't seem to be an option.

Thanks!

Time to stop using dangerous third party cleaners as you have used. If you need to delete an App then use it's included uninstaller, or go to the developers website and follow their uninsall instructions. If you really feel you don't trust OSXs inbuilt cache cleaning maintenance, there are much safer ways to go about it.

I would simply be doing a reinstall now, in case some other things have also been 'cleaned' that you haven't discovered as yet.

Hold down cmd-R at startup until the Recovery Partition loads. Then choose the "Install OS X" option and follow the prompts.

Cheers

Pete

Jul 26, 2013 4:04 PM in response to brian0306

brian0306 wrote:

Reboot your Mac and the caches should be rebuilt atuomatically when you start the programs.

You do have the option of reinstalling just OS X and Apple supplied programs as per #8 here

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

If you still have problems after #8 is completed and you have reinstalled the few apps from fresh sources that won't work.

Then your problem is located in the User Account your using, look at doing #6 reset users permissions and even #17 Delete and Recreate the user account to restore the deleted files in the hidden Users/Library folder.

Reinstalling Dictionary App?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.