Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What will the sd camera connection kit allow me to do?

Hi, I have an ipad 4 16gb and am looking at getting an sd camera connection kit for my two cameras. One is a small compact camera which shots jpegs to an sd card, the other is a canon 40d which I use to shoot RAW/jpeg to a cf card to sd card adapter. So will the sd camera connection kit work with these cameras and formats?

I would also like to know what is actually possible with the cable. Will it allow me to view the photos full screen on the ipad whilst still on sd card with out transferring them then delete bad ones or import good ones etc.? And will I be able to upload them to a shared photostream direct from the sd card?

Could anyone also recommend any good photo editing apps, I have downloaded snapseed and it seems decent is it the best or are there better alternatives. Also will these or any apps allow editing of the photos direct from the sd cards?

The reason I ask if the photos can be viewed and edited directly from sd card is because I only have 8gb free on ipad and normally have multiple 8gb/16gb full sd card of photos.

Thanks.

iPad, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 11:04 AM

Whilst the photos are still on the card you will only see thumbails of them on the iPad - you will need to select and import them from the card into the iPad's Photos app before you will be able to see them full screen or do anything else with them (you can't edit them whilst they are only on the card).

As long as the two cameras use the DCIM naming standard (e.g. a DCIM directory of the root of the card, with the photos underneath it with filenames exactly 8 chars long), which most cameras do, then they should work.

There are a number of photo editing apps in the store. There is an Adobe Photoshop Express app (which is free to download but some features require an in-app purchase), and Apple have a version of iPhoto in the app store - you could have a look at their features and reviews, but if Snapseed does what you want then stick with that.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2013 11:04 AM in response to will220

Whilst the photos are still on the card you will only see thumbails of them on the iPad - you will need to select and import them from the card into the iPad's Photos app before you will be able to see them full screen or do anything else with them (you can't edit them whilst they are only on the card).

As long as the two cameras use the DCIM naming standard (e.g. a DCIM directory of the root of the card, with the photos underneath it with filenames exactly 8 chars long), which most cameras do, then they should work.

There are a number of photo editing apps in the store. There is an Adobe Photoshop Express app (which is free to download but some features require an in-app purchase), and Apple have a version of iPhoto in the app store - you could have a look at their features and reviews, but if Snapseed does what you want then stick with that.

Jul 26, 2013 11:10 AM in response to will220

will220 wrote:

Hi, I have an ipad 4 16gb and am looking at getting an sd camera connection kit for my two cameras. One is a small compact camera which shots jpegs to an sd card, the other is a canon 40d which I use to shoot RAW/jpeg to a cf card to sd card adapter. So will the sd camera connection kit work with these cameras and formats?

Yes. The Camera Connection Kit works with SD cards. OR SD adapters. Or straight from your camera if it does not attempt to charge from the iPad. Some cameras have a transfer mode which sets the camera so it doesn't try to charge. This would be a setting to look for in yours.

will220 wrote:

I would also like to know what is actually possible with the cable. Will it allow me to view the photos full screen on the ipad whilst still on sd card with out transferring them then delete bad ones or import good ones etc.? And will I be able to upload them to a shared photostream direct from the sd card?

No, the cable will let you see thumbnails of the images on the Import screen. But you will have to actually import them to the iPad if you want to view them full screen.

You can then set them to a photostream, but they will have to be on your iPad before going onto the Photostream.

will220 wrote:

Could anyone also recommend any good photo editing apps, I have downloaded snapseed and it seems decent is it the best or are there better alternatives. Also will these or any apps allow editing of the photos direct from the sd cards?

iPhoto seems to get recommendations here. However for editing the photos need to be physically on the iPad. The Apps can't access the SD card directly. Only the Import routine can do that and copy them to your Camera Roll on the iPad.

will220 wrote:

The reason I ask if the photos can be viewed and edited directly from sd card is because I only have 8gb free on ipad and normally have multiple 8gb/16gb full sd card of photos.

Thanks.

In that case perhaps the iPad is not the best suited for what you want to do. I'd look for an inexpensive laptop with a large hard drive.

Jul 26, 2013 11:23 AM in response to Phil0124

This is something which I currently do use my laptop for but was looking for an easier way to sort through the photos when traveling. At the very least I would have expected there would be a way to just view the photos on the sd card so you can pick out the ones to import, but from what your saying the photo app isn't capable of this and third party apps have no access to the sd card at all. Is that correct, if so I guess I'll have to just sort through on the camera or import a few at a time. Thanks for your help.

Jul 26, 2013 11:36 AM in response to will220

As we said. In the Import Screen you can see thumbnails of the photos. So from that you can then pick which Photos to actually import.

If you need to see them in a larger format than the thumbnail provides in order to decide, you need to import them to the iPad.

Then you can delete them from the iPad if you don't want them there.

Everything else is correct.

What will the sd camera connection kit allow me to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.