Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constantly receive letters for password reset. Didn't ask for it.

Didn't find an appropriate thread. I keep getting letters "How to reset your Apple ID password." Almost each day this week. Why? I don't want to change it, haven't tried to change it.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 1:03 PM

12 replies

Jul 26, 2013 2:51 PM in response to antonavy

Someone may be trying to break into your account, or they may be entering in your Apple ID in error rather than their own. Make sure that your password is very strong and that your security questions are difficult to guess (using fake information rather than real answers is usually the best approach; they just need to be something you can remember).

Or, as the others suggest, they may be a phish. If there's a link the email directs you to click, a fake is highly likely.

Regards.

Jul 29, 2013 6:20 AM in response to varjak paw

User uploaded file

Here's how it looks. It seems like email is coming from apple as far as I can see.

It doesn't work like it should there it shows "invalid link" but it directs to apple Web site and if it's a scam I can't see it.

The only thing I can think of is that someone is really trying to get into my account by reseting the password (or he misstyped his account 4 times in a row).

<Link Edited By Host>

Jul 29, 2013 6:17 AM in response to antonavy

That is Apple's address. At least, I can verify it up to the default page of https://iforgot.apple.com/iForgot/iForgot.html . The rest would be generated for your account. You are likely correct that someone else is trying to access your account. You of course get the emails asking to verify your account, or ask to have your password emailed to the email address on record.

Jul 29, 2013 8:24 AM in response to babowa

And, additonally, I don't believe Apple would send an email with a link that expires in 3 hours - or, at least, I've not heard of that.

No, the link to reset the password or security questions does expire after three hours, so that part is OK.

I reset my security questions a few days ago (I needed them to set-up two-step verification and I had forgotten what they were) and the mail I received looked pretty much as the OP's.

So the OP"s mail looks real, if you are still getting these often it could be someone is trying to get into your account. Make sure your password is secure.

regards

Jul 29, 2013 9:20 AM in response to antonavy

In the screen above "от кого" = "from" and "кому" = "to". So that's ok, it's my address.

I'm not sure about 3 hour expiration as I didn't try to follow the link right away and when I tried it the link had already expired.

So it's not a single problem someone is trying to get apple accounts. Another thing I was afraid of is, what if they are trying to force me to change the password so they can intercept it somehow. Is it even possiblу or am I just being paranoid? 🙂

Constantly receive letters for password reset. Didn't ask for it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.