Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to get up to the apple menu?

I am big on key commands because of my arthritis. Im alittle confused on how to highlight the top left menu bar... It seems if i press fn+command+F2 it is highlighted... but only sometimes... i find myself panicing asking why doesnt this work..? Then if i press fn+command+F2 the dock is highlighted and if i press fn+command+F2 right after it will work...?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 10:21 PM

3 replies

Aug 2, 2013 6:05 PM in response to andyBall_uk

This is so odd to me... I am on my imac now... trying to figure out the same thing... I am sitting here looking at the shortcuts... and it clearly says control F2...

User uploaded file

But control F2 is not working.. then i find the fn key hold it down and there you have it... It works... I dont have much of a problem with this on my macbook because the fn key is right next to the control key... But on my imac (full keyboard) the fn key is super far away.. and a pain to hold down all three at the same time...

Why could they say the command is control-F2, when it is really fn-control-F2!?!?

I am guessing some thing because the F2 key works as brightness?

Aug 3, 2013 5:26 AM in response to gritzildino

>>I am guessing some thing because the F2 key works as brightness?

Exactly so - and if you check System Preferences - Keyboard you should see something similar to this

User uploaded file

where if you check the 'use all F1, F2 etc...' box, there's no need for the Fn key, except when you adjust brightness & other special features. Alernatively - alter the shortcuts in the window you pictured above, to something suitable.

how to get up to the apple menu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.