Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Left-click in piano roll brings up contextual menu

This has been driving me nuts and I'm hoping somebody has an answer...

In the piano roll, simply left-clicking in the window (not on a note) keeps bringing up the contextual menu as if I'm right-clicking...

I'm a long-time Logic user and I've always dragged the mouse around inside the window to select multiple notes, and now I can't do this simple function because the menu keeps popping up.

At first I thought this was a weird change that was made in Logic X, because I noticed that the manual talks about selecting multiple notes by clicking on the keyboard on the left, but that doesn't make any sense because you need to select certain areas far more often than all the same notes in the region.

But then one day, I was able to click inside the window just like I have been able to for all those years. This makes me wonder if there's some new preference setting that I accidentally turned on or off, or if this is simply a bug that happens sporadically.

Has anybody else come across this problem?

Logic Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2017 9:37 AM

Thank you so much... Ive been ripping my hair out trying to use the piano roll, the only thing i can think has changed since the problem started is OSX Sierra, the Fn key trick worked for me, but it'd be great if there was a solid solution to this

17 replies

Aug 8, 2017 3:42 PM in response to walktheearth

Guys! Dealing with this gave me a worst time than fighting Sans in UT... bad pun. Bottom line: I think I kinda got rid of the problem! My solution......... click CAPS LOCK.

I was trying to do the previous trick: Fn + click. Instead I pressed caps lock by accident and clicked... soon I realized the problem was gone... only when caps lock is on though.

I really hope this helps!

Logic Pro master race!!!! ...JK

Jul 27, 2013 7:22 PM in response to walktheearth

I have seen this behaviour when...

There was either an intermittant problem with an Apple keyboard (a crumb had got between two of the keys..causing one of the keys to stick every so often) or something was accidentally pressing against one of the keys resulting in this odd behaviour.

I had used an iPad controller with Logic and every so often it would act weirdly causing this issue. Powering down the iPad confirmed this to be the cause and upon further investigation I found a control surface setting had become corrupted...

Certain midi controllers can cause this such as the Novation range.. when incorrectly configured or the controller software hasnt been updated or reset in a while.. or the controller itself was acting up in some way. Unplugging the controller for a period of time confirmed this to be the source of the problem.

Jul 28, 2013 1:53 AM in response to walktheearth

walktheearth wrote:

I'm using neither. Using my own key commands I've used and updated for years. I've added some things that are new in X into the list and modified a few but the key commands have all been working as expected.

and what happens if you try any of the preset key command sets? The problem continue?

If the answer is "yes" & "yes" the next step (for me at least) is to delete Logic's preferences files.

Jul 28, 2013 3:41 PM in response to aggelos

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I got really tired of the problem and deleted the preference files and that fixed the problem. I always knew that's something I should eventually try but since I anticipate having to use L9 for some time (old sessions, 32 bit plugins) as well, I didn't want to have to dump all the pref files which will affect L9 also. But I got frustrated enough that I had to, and now this weird behavior is gone.

@The Art of Sound, this behavior was exclusively in the Piano Roll Editor so it had nothing to do with the keyboard or some other controller setting that affected a global behavior. But I agree with you that the iPad controller is a bit buggy sometimes.

@aggelos, to answer your question about the key commands, I did try those before when I was trying everything, and it didn't affect it one way or anther. Just out of curiosity, was there a reason you were asking about the key commands? I don't really see how that could be related but I'd like to know what you had in mind. Also, the trashing of the pref files ended up fixing it but I would still like to know what caused this in the first place, if you have any suspicions. But thank you for the delete Pref Files suggestions, which was the same route I took in the end.

Jul 29, 2013 3:01 AM in response to walktheearth

walktheearth wrote:

@aggelos, to answer your question about the key commands, I did try those before when I was trying everything, and it didn't affect it one way or anther. Just out of curiosity, was there a reason you were asking about the key commands? I don't really see how that could be related but I'd like to know what you had in mind.

Hm... about key commands, I was trying to reproduce your problem in both LP9 & LPX (10.0.0 & 10.0.1) to no avail... and I thought maybe the key command sets prefs could make a difference so I asked about it as a... "no cost move". (there is already a bug in piano roll RIGHT click)

Anyway, glad to hear your problem is fixed!

walktheearth wrote:

Also, the trashing of the pref files ended up fixing it but I would still like to know what caused this in the first place, if you have any suspicions. But thank you for the delete Pref Files suggestions, which was the same route I took in the end.

Many times corrupted pref files is the answer to unexpected behavior in application (not only LP).

Short explanation: Pref files are loaded into RAM. When we quit the App (or unexpectedly quit, or crash, or whatever) the pref files are saved to Hard disk, sometimes with problems...

Small tip: since deleting pref files is a good troubleshooting method but... with a cost (we have to reset all of them one by one), a good idea is to keep a backup of preferences file in another place so when a problem occur we just replace the corrupt pref file with the backed up!!

😉

Nov 25, 2016 3:21 AM in response to walktheearth

Almost 3yrs later we're still having this issue. I'm getting ready to just reinstall Logic all together. Like OP said, this issue ONLY appears in Piano Roll Editor, NOT ANYWHERE ELSE. I've followed OP's suggestion and deleted the plist file, Logic was completely reset but issue persisted. Tried initializing everything, no luck.

For people who couldn't find the .plist file, use "~/Library/Preferences" when you use "Go to" because the file is in a hidden folder. Wish everyone best luck here. 😟 Piano Roll Editor is EXTREMELY frustrating to use now thanks to this.

BTW, I recently updated OS to 10.12.1

Nov 25, 2016 4:37 PM in response to walktheearth

I know i'm 3 years late to the party but i found a workaround. I tried ALL THE SUGGESTIONS. Finally I gave up and adopted something acceptable enough for me. I just hold down the Function key "Fn" before any click. "Fn-click". Since I use photoshop a lot, i'm used to clicking command or shift, or what have you, before mouse clicks. This is no different for me. Well it doesn't solve the issue but I hope it gets you guys back to producing while the inspiration is still flowing. .(P.s.: basically you could either Fn-click or just leave your finger on Fn while you work....remember...this bug is only on the Piano roll soooo...ya know....gotta deal)

Left-click in piano roll brings up contextual menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.