Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone not appearing in itunes

Please do not respond by sending me to: iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows I've been there and done all of the suggestions. The Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is not installed. I just upgraded recently to an iphone 5. I was able to sync originally and install the backup from the computer to the phone. However, now itunes does not see the phone. I'm still on Windows Vista OS. Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 12:15 PM

12 replies

Jul 27, 2013 12:19 PM in response to wendyjean56

I'm not sure if the following older post duplicates some of the info in your link (you be the judge), but here it is...

If you are running Windows Vista or later, open up your Start Menu and search for "Services."

Click on the icon that looks like a smal gear.

Once you have that window open, Look for the service that says "Apple Mobile Device"

Once you click on it once, to your left of the window, click "Start this service"

After you have done that, with the same service still highlighted, Right click on it then click "Properties"

Once that menu is open, Find the drop down box and make sure the start up is set to "Automatic"

After these steps are completed, you should have no problem with your iPod Touch, or iPhone not showing up in the iTunes window.

Jul 27, 2013 1:46 PM in response to dilbert41

@dilbert41 - that url takes me to an exe file for itunes that was older than the version I have installed.

I just followed the instructions to remove and reinstall iTunes and AMD found at this location: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1567 and unfortunately the device still does not show in iTunes. I then closed itunes, restarted AMD, re-opened iTunes, reconnected the device and UGH it still does not show up.

guess I'll have to reach out to Apple Tech Spt.

thank you though.

Jul 27, 2013 3:14 PM in response to wendyjean56

well, after chatting with tech spt; transferred to phone spt, screen sharing, double checking everything I already did and escalating me to Tier 2 support, I have an appt tomorrow at the Apple Store. It comes down to these possibilities: 1. a hardware problem on the phone; 2. a problem with the cord (I only have 1 so that has to be tested) or 3. a problem with Vista being able to install the apple USB driver. Personallly I think that is what the problem will be. So I will have to think about an OS upgrade most likely. Guess it's about time.

Aug 4, 2013 5:18 PM in response to wendyjean56

Problem solved. Turns out it was user error (sort of). I completely forgot that I have a Mopsie case with a battery on my phone. If you connect via the Mospie port, the computer will charge the phone but iTunes cannot see the device. All I needed to do was remove the Mopsie and connect directly through the phone port.

Interesting though, that neither chat, Tier 1 or Tier 2 thought to ask me if I had a Mopsie on the phone.

Alls well that ends well.

Aug 4, 2013 5:59 PM in response to wendyjean56

Well, to be honest, that's probably because it's such a basic thing to check (like, asking if your computer is turned on when they ask you to connect to iTunes) that they made the erroneous assumption that you didn't have anything connected as a throughput for the USB connection.

I'm glad that you solved the issue, and I'm sure those Apple Support people (assuming you informed them that the Mopsie case was the cause) will now know to ask if there's a battery-case involved.

iphone not appearing in itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.