Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are books in the cloud disappearing from collections

For as long I can remember, I have had downloaded books and books in the cloud showing up in collections. Over the last few days, I have noticed that books I have deleted from this device (iPad 2, iOS6, iBooks3), I.e. that have a cloud icon in the corner, are disappearing from collections and only showing in "purchased books".

I do this to remove read books from the device but to keep them sorted as I want them. Anyone else noticed this new behaviour and managed to overcome it?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 3:59 PM

Guess I'll never know the answer as to why but it appears fixed by deleting iBooks and reinstalling it. Galls me not to know the root cause or the real fix but guess I'll have to settle for it

26 replies

Aug 22, 2013 11:30 AM in response to stemlluk

I am having this same problem only ALL of my books disappear from my collections. I have had collections for well over a year and at first I thought that it was just books that I had stored in the cloud disappearing but for about a month now, any book that is in a collection disappears from the collection randomly. I can redownload all of my books and it puts them right back in the collection but then several days later, I will look for one and they are all gone again. I have to go back and download them from the cloud. The only ones that don't disappear are the ones that are in the Books folder in iBooks.

I keep my app updated and my software updated. I don't understand why this continues to be a problem.

Aug 24, 2013 12:22 PM in response to lamom1

I'm seeing the same thing...for about a month now.

The first time it happened, ALL of my books disappeared from my Books collection. I found them in my Purchased collection, where I had to redownload them.

Today, a book I was reading suddenly closed, and I was looking at my Books collection, where I noticed the iCloud icon on the book I was reading. I had to redownload the book in order to continue reading.

Very strange!

Sep 7, 2013 4:38 PM in response to paintpyro

I have been on the phone with the Apple tech guys MANY times over this issue of the "disappearing" books...Just talked to an "EXPERT" today after re-downloading and re-arranging about 100 books in iBooks that were there neatly organized in COLLECTIONS Friday night but had disappeared and were found randomly in the PURCHASED books (small white cloud icon in the upper right hand corner of each book!) on Saturday morning! The tech dude told me to back up everything to my MacBook Pro in iTunes and then do a complete iPad restore. I will give this a shot and let you guys know if that works. This is an extremely frustrating glitch in iBooks!!

Sep 7, 2013 6:02 PM in response to stemlluk

Note to all --

For those actively trying to the extent of this bug, I report the following:

For us, the bug occurs on all our family iOS devices, from my iPad mini and iPad 4, to my wife's iPad mini and both our iPhones.

That's not one, or two, or even three, but five separate devices.

I have been successful in keeping my books from "evaporating" overnight by choosing Sync All Books to my iTunes library via cable connection. More importantly, once there I have also turned off Sync via Wifi.

It appears to be that Wifi Sync is the culprit, not the individual device. Whether the deeper fault is higher up the chain, in iTunes or iCloud, remains to be seen.

Question, Apple: How many iPods would have been sold if, a few years back, each night an arbitrary number of songs simply disappearedby morning? Apple probably wouldn't have survived.

This is a more than an annoyance, it's a continuing huge bug that renders the iPad virtually unusable for reading—for many, the primary reason for their purchase.

Fix it.

Sep 7, 2013 8:24 PM in response to stemlluk

So frustrated with ibooks.
I have purchased, downloaded and categorised various children's books for use in my classrooms at various schools. I use my iPad off-line due to difficulties logging on to WiFi at various schools. It used to work beautifully but about a month ago all the downloaded books dissappeared from my created collections and all reappeared as cloud items in a new default category called "Purchased Books".
The books are no longer available off-line and now have to be redownloaded individually. They do not stay downloaded but continue to revert to the cloud and have to be redownloaded again and again.

I can not rely on iBooks books being available for use in my class.
iBooks has become totally unreliable and useless.
I have paid for these books, or they were free, and I am being denied the right to use them and I have to keep meeting my providers charges to repeatedly download the same book aver and over again.

The deliberate addition of the "Purchased Books" category apears to have been a part of a recent upgrade of iBooks and is denying me access to items to which I believe i have an "off-line" right to.

Apple needs to address this issue.

Sep 8, 2013 12:02 PM in response to dpcnnPam

dpcnnPam wrote:

Where can I find the option to change this setting.......I'm not finding it anywhere in iTunes or on my iPad????

You can find it in iTunes...

• Cable your iPad or iPhone to your Mac.
  • Look on the left side of iTunes for Devices.
  • Pick your iOS device.
  • On the Summary tab scroll down to Options. You will see Sync with this [iPad/iPhone/iWhatever] over Wifi.
  • Turn this off.

It's a wretched work-around, crippling the unteathered nature of these devices, but it seems to be holding for me.

Why are books in the cloud disappearing from collections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.