Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use iPhone personal hotspot to connect my iPad with my laptop

I am living in school residence so I don't have a wireless connection, nor am I allowed to use a router on the school internet.

I have an iPhone with data plan and personal hotspot. I want to watch movies on my iPad, streaming from my laptop, using some apps like VLC Streamer.

So my questions are, can I set up a network using my iPhone, and have both my laptop and iPad connect to my personal hotspot? Will that allow me to use VLC Streamer? And will my mobile carrier charge me for the data between my laptop and iPad, which should be considered a local connection?

Thanks a million!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 8:12 PM

There are no replies.

Use iPhone personal hotspot to connect my iPad with my laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.