Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aperture running slow

Is there any way of running my Aperture 3.4.5 faster. It really slows down my Mac, even with everything else closed, Time Machine not running, 4.72 GB RAM used. 3.3 GB free, 465 GB free space on HD, on a Mac w 10.8.3 and 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 processor. I have 1,300 photos in Aperture. When it is open, everything is a spinning beach ball all the time. When I finished editing a photo and go back to the Library, the side vertical scroll bar begins is stuttering stroll back to the top of the Library. When I wait and drag it back down to the bottom where my more recent pictures reside, it takes forever to wait while the scroll bars stops and starts on its meandering course gradually dropping to the bottom. This is typical of Aperture with any chore and it is frustratingly slow.

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 9:43 PM

2 replies

Jul 27, 2013 10:11 PM in response to William Hooper

I have 1,300 photos in Aperture.
  • What kind of image files do you have? Are they very large scans? I am only seeing what you are describing, when trying to edit very large scans close to 1 GB or so.
  • Did this only happen recently, or did Aperture never run correctly for you?
  • Have your photos been imported or migrarted from an iPhoto library?
  • Have you updated or installed any software lately? Are you using plug-ins with Aperture?
  • Or did this start, after importing new images?

Have you tries any trouble shooting (Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics)? Sometimes such slowness is caused by importing corrupted media. Is Aperture more responsive, if you launch it whith the shift-key held down to defer the generation of previews?

• Quit Aperture and launch it again by holding down the Shift key, while clicking the Aperture icon to launch Aperture. If Aperture will perform better this way, you probably have imported a bad file, that needs to be remove. Post back.
  • If that does not speed up Aperture, test if it will work better on a new Aperture Library: Launch Aperture with the alt/opt ⌥ key held down and use the option "other/new" to create a new library. Import a few image files and check. If a new library works better, repair your current library:
    Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

Regards

Léonie

aperture running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.