Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2008 15" MacBook Pro, wont charge. Charger still gets hot like normal.

I haven't used my Mac in a some time mostly because the charger stop working properly, but I need to get some important files off it. The MagSafe "T" doesn't transfer a charge, but the body of the charger becomes warm like normal. I have cleaned the connections and tested to make sure the pins work in the right fashion. But alas no charge is transfered to the computer I have also tried a different charger and still no charge to the laptop.

Any ideas on how to fix the problem or even what the problem is?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 11:23 PM

10 replies

Jul 28, 2013 12:28 AM in response to Mattpatt824

The issue is not related to the battery.

1) Make sure you are using the correct magsafe, L or T. Make sure it is 85W, not 60W

2) Make sure your EFI/SMC firmware is up to date. Check here:

EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs.

3) Reset the SMC

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove

4) If the issue persists, given you tested on two different chargers, I suspect logicboard. Run the Extended Apple Hardware Test:

Using Apple Hardware Test -

5) Bring the machine in for servicing if logicboard error appears. If not, I am out of suggestions.

Jul 28, 2013 9:45 AM in response to Mattpatt824

Then it is time to assassinate the piggybank and shop for a new Mac. My old Early 2008 did the same: was working one day in Nov. 2011, put it to sleep, never woke back up again. Logic board had fried. Cost of the replacement board+labor (which only carried a 6 month warranty) plus the fact that it was an obsolete out of warranty computer dictated that a new one was a much better investment.

Jul 28, 2013 3:32 PM in response to Mattpatt824

Aaah, should of started there from the beginning!

Simple. Pull the drive from the corpse, stuff in an external USB enclosure and rescue your files from it. See here: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3369574/how-read-mac-os-hfs-drives-in- windows-for-free/

Then reformat the drive as MBR/NTFS and run it till the platters fall off on your PC.

If you need info on how to crack the Mac open to do the excision, see here: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_15%22 Just pick your model. Afterwards, might think of selling it off for parts; the display, if unblemished, can fetch good bucks.

Dec 15, 2014 7:52 AM in response to Mattpatt824

My Macbook Charger started running really hot - so hot you couldn't physically handle it. I phoned apple and explained that it posed a fire risk and they offered to replace it. After I had sent it in they said they had now decided it had suffered wear and tear and would not replace it. They also refused to send it back. They have completely wasted my time and provided terrible customer support and all from one of the richest company's in the world. I would urge people to stay clear I certainly will from now on.

2008 15" MacBook Pro, wont charge. Charger still gets hot like normal.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.