Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make an NTFS external hard drive compatible with my Macbook Air?

I have bought an external hard drive with NTFS. How do I transfer files to this drive from my Macbook Air, and write files on it? I also would like to use the hard drive for a pc as well so any suggested solutions that allows me to use across my mac and a pc would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 6:23 AM

11 replies

Jul 28, 2013 11:09 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks Kurt. I saw elsewhere NTFS 3G was recommended as well, any experience you can share with that? Also another post suggested reformatting the disk drive to FAT32, but I dont know the significance and therefore which route to go. Will the paragon option allow me to view/write all files on both Mac and PC? (apologies for all the questions but I am a new mac user and not an expert on these things...)

Jul 29, 2013 5:11 AM in response to marshalltimd

marshalltimd wrote:

Never seen the term exFAT in a post previously - is that an enhanced version of FAT32?

Yes it is. Here's an abstract from this Microsoft KB page

The exFAT file system is the successor to FAT32 in the FAT family of file systems. The exFAT file system is a new file system format that addresses the growing needs of mobile personal storage on different operating systems. The exFAT file system handles large files, such as those that are used for media storage, and it enables seamless interoperability between desktop computers and devices, such as portable media devices. Because of this functionality, you can easily copy files between the desktop and external devices or between the desktop and other operating systems.

Jul 29, 2013 5:57 AM in response to marshalltimd

Tuxera NTFS does do the same thing, but Paragon's offering is much cheaper.

To expand a little on Alberto's post:

exFAT can handle huge files, so the 4 GB file size limit of FAT32 isn't an issue. You can format a disk as exFAT right from within OS X with Disk Utility, but it's a known issue that Windows computers can't always read, or mount a drive formatted as exFAT on a Mac. Best to do the formatting in Windows. Lastly, you of course need to copy all data off the drive first before formatting it to exFAT, and copy your data back afterwards.

How do I make an NTFS external hard drive compatible with my Macbook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.