Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert text book to frame?

What I want to do in Pages is to create a text box that is locked in position, but whose content can be changed.

In a word processing document in AppleWorks, one could create a text frame and lock it. One could still type whatever one wanted into the frame, or alter whatever was there already, while the position of the frame remained locked.

In MS Word , one can create a text box and convert it to a frame, which behaves like a locked frame in AppleWorks.

In Pages, I have neither found a way of doing this nor found any reference to such a thing in Pages Help or in the downloadable Pages 09 Manual. My version of Pages is 4.3 and seems to date from March, 2012; the online Help and the Manual are out of date.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 7:58 AM

Unfortunately, unlike AppleWorks, Pages does not allowed editing of the text in a locked object. You'll have to unlock it to edit it.

I suggest you leave feedback for the Pages team requesting this needed feature. You can find it under the Pages menu > Provide Pages Feedback.

User uploaded file

19 replies

Jul 28, 2013 8:24 AM in response to Michael Graubart

Apologies! I must add something that I had temporarlly forgotten to this. It is that if I open a new blank document in Pages and click near the top of the page, there is there just such a text box or place-holder, fixed in position, empty, but allowing typing and editing. How did that get there? Doesn't that suggest that in some way it should be possible to create a similar place-holder elsewhere in the document?

Jul 28, 2013 2:20 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks, both of you. No, all I was trying to do was to create my own template for my letters, with my own letterhead.

But I have now got a real disaster on my hands. I can no longer save anything or print from Pages, whether from a template or a blank document. I get a message saying that I do not have permission. I have no similar trouble with any other application on my hard disk.

The message tells me to select the item in the Finder and change permissions, but I cannot select it until it is saved. What can I do? If, on the assumption that Pages has got corrupted, I want to download another copy, I woud have to pay for it again, presumably.

Jul 28, 2013 4:51 PM in response to Michael Graubart

Hi Michael,

That folder was likely the "item" for which you needed to change permissions.

Regarding downloading another copy: If you bought from the Mac app store, you can download it as many times as you need and install (or reinstall) it on any compatible device (ie. other Mac computers) you have registered under the same Apple ID. Log on to th Mac app store, and you'll find it listed in "My purchases."

Regards,

Barry

Jul 28, 2013 5:40 PM in response to Michael Graubart

Michael just open an existing Letterhead template from the Template Chooser and change it to your liking.

You just picked a folder in a location to which you did not have permission to write. It is a UNIX thing contrailing how variuous users can access files/folders, sometimes it is your mistake, often it is a glitch in Finder. You can repair permissions in Disk Utility.

Peter

Jul 29, 2013 2:48 AM in response to Barry

Thanks, Barry. That folder and a couple of files in it had been created in my virtual Snow Leopard Server (in Parallels) and transferred to my host machine's desktop, so that was probably how the problem arose.

As far as replacing possibly corrupted Pages is concerned, that is now unnecessary, since the culprit was the folder. But for future reference, here is the relevant part of my list of purchases. As you will see, against 'Pages' it says 'Installed' on the right (greyed out and inoperative). If I click on 'Pages' itself on the left, I am taken back to the Pages page (pardon the pun) on which I am invited to pay for a new copy. It doesn't cost much, of course, but with most apps downloaded from the Net one gets a serial number and one can then if necessary download another copy and re-insert that number. I looked at all this last night, before posting here. Am I right in guessing that I would have to uninstall Pages before the link on the Purchases page becomes active?

User uploaded file

Jul 29, 2013 2:52 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks, PeterBreis0807. As far as the letter template is concerned, I did have a look at some of the existing templates with a view to modifying one, but in fact I have created the one I want from scratch now — all except for the text box. I shall either do without that, or use an inline text box (when I have discovered how to create one).

Thanks especially for the reminder about repairing permissions in Disk Utility. I used to do that regularly on my old computer, but in the panic of thinking that Pages had got corrupted I failed to think of it.

Jul 29, 2013 3:27 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks very much for the instructions. They are just the help I wanted.

What the text box is for? Well, just a whim, really. But on my old computer with AppleWorks I set up a letter template with my preferred font, paragraph spacing, etc., for the body of the letter; and then at top left, just below the letter head, I placed a locked text frame for the addressee's address with its own (different) paragraph spacing. It wasn't a vital matter, but it saved quite a lot of time. That's what I would like to reproduce in Pages, though it is by no means a matter of epistolatory life or death.

Jul 29, 2013 5:47 AM in response to Michael Graubart

Why not either add it to the Header, or simply at the top of the first page?

Usually the address data is merged from Contacts/Address Book anyway, just as it is in the templates.

You can also copy the Address Textbox, switch to Preview and go command n, which then makes it a pdf which you can bring back into Pages as an uneditable image.

Several ways to swing a cat that makes sure the cat never strikes the walls or furniture.

Peter

Jul 29, 2013 6:25 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Good ways, Peter,

User uploaded file

and less good ones:

User uploaded file

If I put the address into the header, it will come out on every page, will it not? (Not so good). And an uneditable pdf? (not good at all in a template for letters to be addressed to different people.) And as far as a link to the Contacts (Address Book) is concerned, I have to write to all sorts of people and organizations that aren't in my Contacts. But I tried the inline text box and didn't like it for various reasons, so I shall abandon the idea and just type in the address and set my line spacing as and when.

But I now have another Pages question, and that is: how can I set the font for footnotes (in a single document or in a template) so that they all appear in that font automatically and I don't have to change the font for each new footnote manually? Mine come out in Helvetica all the time — and Helvetica is fine for some purposes, but I don't like it for all.

Convert text book to frame?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.