Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I was using my intel iMac when the power got cut. When i turned it back on, the power got cut again at the log in screen. Now whenever i try to login to my account, the screen flashes white, then returns to the login screen. is there a way to fix this?

I got my iMac in 2011 & have never updated it, so I'm not sure what software it runs on. I'm sure my password is correct because when i type it incorrectly, the box shakes as it should, but when I type it correctly, it's accepted & takes me to a white screen for a few seconds before returning to the login screen. I would really appreciate all the help I can get, please 😟

iMac

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 11:59 AM

6 replies

Jul 28, 2013 12:33 PM in response to kayscomputer

kayscomputer wrote:

I got my iMac in 2011 & have never updated it, so I'm not sure what software it runs on.

Read KB Article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159 Mac OS X versions (builds) for computers and post the information.

I'm sure my password is correct because when i type it incorrectly, the box shakes as it should, but when I type it correctly, it's accepted & takes me to a white screen for a few seconds before returning to the login screen. I would really appreciate all the help I can get, please 😟

In the meantime, try zapping the PRAM.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

User uploaded file

Jul 28, 2013 4:47 PM in response to kayscomputer

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jul 28, 2013 6:47 PM in response to kayscomputer

Back up all data if you haven’t already done so. There are ways to back up, even if you can’t log in. Before proceeding,you must be sure you can restore everything to the state it’s in now. If you’re not sure you can do that, STOP.

The procedure below may spare you the need for a clean reinstallation of OS X. If you don't feel comfortable carrying it out, don't. try.

Briefly, you need to delete the following file:

/var/audit/current

If you already know how to do that, you can skip the rest of this message. Do it, and try again to log in.

Boot in single-user mode by holding down the key combination command-S at the startup chime. If you’re using an external USB keyboard, it must be plugged directly into a built-in port on the Mac, not into a hub. Release the keys when you see a black screen with scrolling white text. In this mode, there’s no graphical interface; just a command line. Initially, you can’t make any changes to files.

When the text stops scrolling, and you see a line ending in a pound sign (“#”), type the following command:

mount -uw /

You must type the command exactly as given, with no mistakes. If you don’t feel able to do that, STOP. At this stage, no harm will be done if you make a mistake, but later, it will be. Press the return key.

Next, type the following command:

rm -i /var/audit/current

Press return. You should get the following output:

remove /var/audit/current?

If that's not what you get, STOP. Type the single letter N, press return, and try again. Otherwise, type the single letter Y and pressreturn.

Finally, enter the command:

exit

Press return. The text will start scrolling again, and then the system will reboot. Try again to log in.

Credit for this solution to ASC user AnthonyTW.

I was using my intel iMac when the power got cut. When i turned it back on, the power got cut again at the log in screen. Now whenever i try to login to my account, the screen flashes white, then returns to the login screen. is there a way to fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.