3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2013 6:48 PM by moebelli
moebelli Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Wonder if it's just me, but why does Aperture work different in full screen app mode than most other Mac apps?

I'm talking about the BG changing color, the UI looks different and you can't get the top menu when you hover the mouse on the top of the window like with Final Cut Pro, Pages and every other Mac software that uses this mode.

In Apertute, full screen app mode is some kind of quassi viewing mode that Apple thinks makes viewing images better. It's more of a pain for me. I often just want to go full window/screen mode so I can swipe in and out of Aperture but as I say, I don't want the default UI to change on me.

So, in my view, Aperture is missing a proper full screen app mode. Wish there was a setting you could adjust to give you that. I know you can customize the full screen mode somewhat, but I can't seem to get it to be how I want and as well, why do I have to spend time doing that and why doesn't Aperture adhere to Apple's full screen standards.

BTW, I know I can use spaces to create what I want, but only be using it for Aperture and seems again a great waste of time.

Does this bug anyone else?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion
  • Mark Alan Thomas Level 1 Level 1 (85 points)

Agreed. It’s a little schizo. The reason it’s like this is because Aperture’s full screen mode predates OS X’s by several years, so it’s an attempt to strike a compromise between the two.

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,510 points)

You can adjust the background brightness of the Viewer and Browser in both full-screen and windowed modes at "Aperture➞Preferences➞Appearance".

Full-screen mode in Aperture has never been fully-implemented, afaict.  I don't use it.

• moebelli Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Okay, that explains it. Kind of what I thought, full screen is just not fully implemented and supported.

I'll see about the brightness thing, but it's mostly that the mode takes you out of the standard UI and takes you into a special interface, designed  to best show and preview images, minimizing general productivity in Aperture.

It's kind of like if in iTunes and you go to full screen mode and suddenly get black and brown BG and thumbnails of albums. iTunes doesn't do that, when you go full screen, colors and UI remain the same, the main menu disappears to the top is visible when you hover over it, giving you important functions. Final Cut X works the same way, so does Pages.