Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up my Mac Air

I have an iMac and I have an external HD to back up it.

I purchased an Air Mac and I need to back it up.

What you suggest I use?

(1)
The external HD is already partitioned and I would prefer not to mess with it.

(2)
The Apple Time Capsule seems like overkill and therefore would I be better off buying one and consolidating the 2 computers?

I already have a modem and use my iMac as a direct wire in to it, my AirMac is wireless.

I hope I explained my situation, if not, it is ok,

Greg

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 5:48 PM

6 replies

Jul 28, 2013 5:53 PM in response to greg1424

You will need a partition on the external drive that has been freshly erased.

Basic Backup

For some people Time Machine will be more than adequate. Time Machine is part of OS X. There are two components:

1. A Time Machine preferences panel as part of System Preferences;

2. A Time Machine application located in the Applications folder. It is

used to manage backups and to restore backups. Time Machine

requires a backup drive that is at least twice the capacity of the

drive being backed up.

Alternatively, get an external drive at least equal in size to the internal hard drive and make (and maintain) a bootable clone/backup. You can make a bootable clone using the Restore option of Disk Utility. You can also make and maintain clones with good backup software. My personal recommendations are (order is not significant):

1. Carbon Copy Cloner

2. Data Backup

3. Deja Vu

4. SuperDuper!

5. Synk Pro

6. Tri-Backup

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on backup and restore. Also read How to Back Up and Restore Your Files. For help with using Time Machine visit Pondini's Time Machine FAQ for help with all things Time Machine.

Although you can buy a complete external drive system, you can also put one together if you are so inclined. It's relatively easy and only requires a Phillips head screwdriver (typically.) You can purchase hard drives separately. This gives you an opportunity to shop for the best prices on a hard drive of your choice. Reliable brands include Seagate, Hitachi, Western Digital, Toshiba, and Fujitsu. You can find reviews and benchmarks on many drives at Storage Review.

Enclosures for FireWire and USB are readily available. You can find only FireWire enclosures, only USB enclosures, and enclosures that feature multiple ports. I would stress getting enclosures that use the Oxford chipsets especially for Firewire drives (911, 921, 922, for example.) You can find enclosures at places such as;

1. Cool Drives

2. OWC

3. WiebeTech

4. Firewire Direct

5. California Drives

6. NewEgg

All you need do is remove a case cover, mount the hard drive in the enclosure and connect the cables, then re-attach the case cover. Usually the only tool required is a small or medium Phillips screwdriver.

Jul 29, 2013 12:33 AM in response to PlotinusVeritas

I already have SuperDuper for my iMac and the App is on the AirMac.

I do have a second backup (Portable HD) for my iMac photos and iTunes.

I have hooked it (2nd HD) up to the AirMac via USB to B/U a few files temporarily.

The simple choice would be to buy another portable HD and partition it in 3 sections:
(1) Permanent Storage of photos and iTunes and special files.

(2) Weekly B/U of iMac via Firewire/USB

(3) Weekly B/U of AirMac via USB/Thunderbolt.

Question:

Is that possible with buying one (1) new HD or Time Capsule?

OR do I need 2 HD's, in which case, I would keep what I have and just buy a portable HD for the AirMac.

Thanks

Greg

Jul 29, 2013 12:52 AM in response to greg1424

theres no need for all that partitioning actually. multple TM backups will auto dirrect to new bacupdb folders

can you. yes. need to. no

just get a superslim 500GB HD 7mm for your macbook Air. for TM backups and personal files and folders

More important than peripherals or ramm or larger SSD. is that of multiple redundant backups

The biggest mistake everyone makes about computers is considering them data storage devices. the pros never make this mistake. multiple backups on multiple HD and optical archival DVDs

Enjoy your new Air

Back up my Mac Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.