Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit won't display HTML display!

So I'm new to HTML web-designing. I started out by getting this HTML web designing book. Yes I know it's a little outdated but I thought one of you might now the solution to my problem.

Well the Book said if the HTML isn't displaying right on google chrome to go to TextEdit>Preferences>Open and Save>then to check the "Ignore rich text commands in HTML files" box... I looked there and it isn't there. I guess apple updated it. Where did that box go? How can I find it to fix this problem with TextEdit?

Thanks for any help, in advanced!

(Heres My TextEdit, Perferences... The box isn't there that I know of...)

User uploaded file

Here's the one it shoes in the book.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 12:26 PM

Hey there! I had a similar problem. This is what you do!

Go to "New Document" first and under "Format" the default is checked next to "rich text", you're gonna change it to "plain text". Then go to "Open and Save" and check "Display HTML files as HTML code instead of formatted text" not the option underneath or anything. I unchecked where it says "Add .txt to plain text files" because you want to use the file as an html. It'll switch the text edit into just plain typing instead of like a word document. After that then try saving it as an HTML and opening the file in your browser. It should work after that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2017 12:26 PM in response to bshows99

Hey there! I had a similar problem. This is what you do!

Go to "New Document" first and under "Format" the default is checked next to "rich text", you're gonna change it to "plain text". Then go to "Open and Save" and check "Display HTML files as HTML code instead of formatted text" not the option underneath or anything. I unchecked where it says "Add .txt to plain text files" because you want to use the file as an html. It'll switch the text edit into just plain typing instead of like a word document. After that then try saving it as an HTML and opening the file in your browser. It should work after that.

TextEdit won't display HTML display!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.