Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

gray pinwheel appears

I have a gray pinwheel in the middle of my screen, just twirling away. I looked up and saw the computer was prompting me to choose a "guest user", and the pinwheel was going, so I cancelled the guest user, but the pinwheel stayed. It's not the rainbow pinwheel. It's that gray one made of lines, the one you see when you're shutting down sometimes? You know, like when you shut down your iPhone and it appears just before the screen goes black. I've never had that happen on my computer before, and this was out of the blue. All my applications were working fine, nothing was wrong. I checked for viruses, scanned all the drives, and nothing. Evnetually I just shut down and it went away.

I just want to know if this is a really bad sign. You know, like some weirdness to come.

iMac, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 9:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 12:52 PM

Hi, generally that spinning gray radian means it's trying repair a drive, perhaps one drive momentarily unmounted.

2 replies

Jul 30, 2013 2:33 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you. How would my drive become unmounted? Do you think I ought to try repairing my drive using a disk utility or something? Actually, I use IceClean to "repair permissions" from time to time. I used it to inspect my drive, and it didn't detect anything bad. Should I be worried, do you think? A friend told me she had this thing appear when her hard drive was going bad. It hasn't happened again, but I thought I might take precautions.

gray pinwheel appears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.