Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dissapearing Tab Stops inPages

I put in tab stops in pages but they do not appear on the next line when I start typing, and I have to enter them all over again line by line. How do I make the tab stops that I put in become default for all Lines on the page?.

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 3:13 AM

Select all the paragraphs in which you want them to appear, when you create them. They will continue as part of following paragraphs until you change them again.

They are part of a paragraph's style, you appear to be choosing another separate paragraph when you get the different tabs.

Make them part of a named Paragraph Style in the Styles Drawer if you want to reuse them elsewhere.

Peter

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2013 3:13 AM in response to Kuhu

Select all the paragraphs in which you want them to appear, when you create them. They will continue as part of following paragraphs until you change them again.

They are part of a paragraph's style, you appear to be choosing another separate paragraph when you get the different tabs.

Make them part of a named Paragraph Style in the Styles Drawer if you want to reuse them elsewhere.

Peter

Jul 30, 2013 1:03 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks Peter. To Explain. When I set up a page document I am not sure where the stops have to be or how manny I need. As I enter each line in I might have to modify where the stops need to go. This is because although I settle down to a finite number of stops the information at each can very widely. This means that half the page has shall we say, varible stop positions. I had a last got around to thinking that it had something to do with paragraphs, but Ididn't know how to save them. You confirmed the problem with paragraphs and that I needed to along with saving the style I also had to apply it somehow. The rest I got from the Internet and just experimenting.

So thanks again Peter for confirming my suspicians and pointing me in the right direction. Kuhu.

Aug 6, 2013 12:35 AM in response to Kuhu

Hi Peter. In my situation I have:-

In the final count all lines on all pages end up with the same tab stops in the same position.

The problem was when I started I did not know how many I needed or where they finally had to go. So I started out with the mimimun number of stops in selected pposition. As each line was added I added or changed stop positions asn needed, to allow for the data that had to be entered. Thus until it all settled down I had many different stop positions across several lines on the page. If data came up later and needed adding in, it was chaos.

Now I know how to set a style in pages, save it and enter it for all previous lines in the page, or as you say paragraphs. Yes I do use return, but as you say," If you have different tab stops, you have different paragraphs." In my case each line was a new paragraph till I sorted it out.

Many Thanks. Kuhu. it is solved.

Dissapearing Tab Stops inPages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.