Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer Description

How to add a computer description jut like we add in windows xp and windows 7

iPhone 3GS, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 4:38 AM

5 replies

Jul 30, 2013 4:07 AM in response to baltwo

I have Purchase Some Inventory Software.

In Windows XP or 7 there is an field where we can write Computer Description. (Control Panel-All Control Panel Items-System-Advance System Settings-computer Name. There is Computer Description.

I want to know is there is a option in Apple Macintosh to add Computer Description justlike i add in windows.

While i scan with my Inventory Software it pick up the Decription only from windows machine but for mac machine it pick up some kind of wrong information For Ex. x86_64/00:00:00 00:46:44 on a Description Filed.

I want to know that from which file this information is getting x86_64

Is there is any oprion or a editable file of mac machine where we add description.

Jul 30, 2013 11:58 AM in response to amlesh.singh

Thanks for the details. Click on the Apple icon, upper left-hand corner, select About this Mac, and then click on More Info button. That launches the System Information app, giving you everything you'd want to know about the Mac that you're currently running. How you extract that to populate your inventory software is beyond my ken.

Aug 27, 2013 5:52 AM in response to baltwo

Hi,

I got a file where is shows x86_64 but how to chage it i don't know can some body help in this.

in Terminal type : sysctl -a hw

There is hw.machine = x86_64 for Lion and Mountain lion

= Power Machine for PPC 10.4

= i386 for intel processor

Exacitly my OCS invertory software shows these value for for these version. I think OCS inventory software pick the information from this sysctl hw.machine value for Description.

I have attached screenshot of OCS inventory software.

User uploaded file

Computer Description

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.