Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse tracks badly - possible solution

Hi

I've been reading a lot of discussions in here, and also a lot of other places regarding the quite common Magic Mouse problems. My own Magic Mouse have become worse over time, starting with minor tracking problems and jittering until it recently became almost unusable. I then searched the net for fixes and solutions to the problem, and believe that I've tried everything from alufoil to batteries to changing my WiFI channel. Unfortunately nothing worked. Until I tried the following:

I've always used my mouse directly on my Ikea table with a white matte finish, and it seems all clean and nice. But it's not. In my case it seems like that grease from the skin (I rest my arm on the table when holding the mouse) over time sort of make a coating on the desk making the mouse to fail tracking. I therefore cleaned my desk with methylated spirits to ensure it got totally cleaned up. And Voila! My Magic Mouse now works perfectly.

I know it sounds quite grose that I haven't cleaned up my desk better than this a long time ago, but anyway I thought I'd share this quite simple fix with you all :-)

Can't guarantee it'll work, but it'll give you a nice and shiny desk ;-)

-Marius

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 6:22 AM

2 replies

Aug 5, 2013 10:27 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua :-)

I'm positive that the mouse tracking issues in a lot of cases might be solved this way. I've seen another case with the same mouse and the same issue. Using another table almost 1,5 meter away was ok, but 30cm from the iMac didn't work. The reason was all about the surface the mouse were being used on. Cleaning the surface fixed that one as well :-) Just like magic ;-)

-Marius

Magic Mouse tracks badly - possible solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.