Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overexposure editing

First of all I am an amateur at photo editing, so apologies if this is a basic question. I am trying to adjust for overexposure and have used Options-Shift-h to show where the detail has beeen lost. The sky showed total red, so I adjusted using the Recovery slider in Exposure, together with the Highlights slider. The photo was of a rocky gulley and on the rockface,when using Options-Shift-h, some purple patches appeared (as opposed to red). What does this indicate and can it be removed to improve the image?

iMac 27" i5, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 7:16 AM

That means they are clipped to black (as opposed to clipped to white). Increasing the shadows should help there. As to whether it helps the image, I can't say. Some photos have black areas ;-)

4 replies

Jul 29, 2013 8:03 AM in response to billbir

The following is, imho, the best general workflow for adjusting exposure.

Use the Exposure Slider to correct for gross differences between the recorded exposure and the desired exposure. Use the Black Point Slider to correct for gross underexposure. Use the Recovery Slider to correct for small areas over-exposed. (The Modifier Key Color Overlays are helpful.)

After thus dynamically setting the _limits_ of the exposure, use either the Brightness Slider or the Curves Brick or the Levels Brick to adjust the distribution of the luminance values inside those limits.

Then, as needed, use the Highlights Slider to lower the luminance of the lightest lights in your luminance range, and the (senselessly misnamed*) Shadows Slider to increase the luminance of the darkest darks in your luminance range.

The guide to the colors used by the Modifier Key Color Overlays is here in the User Manual.

*One of the first things beginning painters are taught is that "shadow" and "dark" describe importantly different phenomena. Aperture has no idea what a shadow is.

Jul 29, 2013 8:45 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thanks very much. You have helped me understand the process and I am now better able to tackle the problem.I appreciate the time you have taken to reply to my query. I recognise that photo-editing cannot be definitive, as a good photo, is in the eye of the viewer and is therefore, subjective, but I now have some good guidlines to work to, in using Aperture.

Overexposure editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.