Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restrict Blog/Wiki Access

Hello,

I have transfered our blogs/wikis from a 10.6.8 xserver to our 10.8.4 Mac Min server. After playing around I have noticed that All users are able to login the wiki/blog. I would prefer if only the selected users are able to login to thes service. I have truned on restricted access to services however it seems users are still able to loginto the wiki. Idealy the blog owner and select others would be able to access the services.

I am running the curent version of server, 2.2.1 and OS X 10.8.4. The server is bound to our Active Directory where it is getting the user accounts from.

Thanks,

~Eric

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 7:22 AM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2013 1:19 PM in response to Simon Slavin

Yes each Wiki does have settings for users. I have restricted the wikis as necessary. The wiki part of the server is on mainly to to have the blogs available. The Main user for the server is the bolgs. I would like to prevent all users from logging into the blog so getting the the active blogs remains easy.

So what is happening right now. A user visits the site > goes to people > the users page with the blog > click the link for the blog.

The have the option to login to the web site which would create every user a page in the users page. Which could be very confusing if a lot of users log in. I want to limit who can login overall.

I looked at the restricted access to settings. There is not options for the web or wiki access. It does not seem that this is doable directly from the server app.

Thanks,

~Eric

Jul 30, 2013 8:42 AM in response to Simon Slavin

Yes the system does give acces to the wikis as need.

The main use of the server currently is not the wikis, but the blogs from the users. My goal is to keep it easy to acees those users with blogs. Allowing all users to login will create unnessecary pages and a very annoying navigation for users.

There is a solution of putting links directly to the blogs. Or hiding all the new users that get created. However these do not nessecarlly lend to easy care and maintance.

Jul 30, 2013 9:01 AM in response to FSU IT Help Desk

I user server for a few of our consulting projects. We have users, groups for subconsultants and groups for projects.

Only the project group is given access to services. Project groups are populated with subconsultant groups, which inherit all of their access to services from the project group they're in. Subconsultant groups are populated with users who inherit access to services from their subconsultant group (whi8ch inherit theirs from the project group they're in.)

I think of it this way:

Groups <-- assign access to services as needed

Subgroups <-- inherit access to services from Groups

Users <-- inherit access to services from Subgroups

My only complaint is that users in Project A can see the FTP folders of all projects, not just those for Project A. They don't have access to those folders, but they can see them, which bothers some clients.

Restrict Blog/Wiki Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.