Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPU overheating issue? Early 2011, i7 2,0Ghz

My MBP suddenly panicked while watching flash video. I had to hard restart it.

When starting up again it shows boot screen in a pink color tone, goes to a grey screen for 30 sec, then blue screen for 30 sec and THEN i might be able to se my desktop. Shows only artifacts and faulty graphics 3 out of 4 times though. Fans are going like helicopters.

I tried 'extended hardware testing' with no errors. I also tried formatting the HDD with a fresh OSX install. That helped, it ran okey for a week (with no heavy tasks), but today when trying to install windows with bootcamp I am back to helicopter fans and 'artifacts'.

Does anyone know what might be wrong here? I am guessing it has to be something with the AMD Radeon 6490M or the integrated HD 3000?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 10:15 AM

6 replies

Aug 1, 2013 7:01 AM in response to Zane W

Seems like it is the AMD chip that is having some trouble. I tried connecting to an external display to force the macbook into AMD chip graphics, and then both displays went nuts in different colors/artifacts and then a freeze.

I have resetted the NVRAM, and the computer seems to be working fine as long as it runs on the integrated graphics chip (have to use gfxCardStatus to control this).

This, however, will not suit my needs. So, that brings up the question if I should send it in to Apple and swap the logic board (really expensive) or buy a new computer.

This time it will be a Samsung or Asus, have had 4 dead Macbooks in the last 8 years. 😟

Aug 1, 2013 7:17 AM in response to o_bay

To be honest, if it's the discrete card (the AMD card), that's better for you. With those iMacs, the GPU is an independent board, so its usually much cheaper then a logic board, ~$200 v ~$500. And, on a machine of that age with the specs you listed above, it would be well worth the $200 investment. Also, if you got AppleCare with it, that repair should be covered. In any case you need to contact an AASP or your nearest Apple Store to get a definite quote.

Aug 1, 2013 8:52 AM in response to o_bay

oh, sorry, i missed that. if that's the case and your in the US, your looking at about a $300 (which for a logic board is a good price) repair. still worth it if you ask me. even if you're just gonna turn around and sell it, that would be a worthwhile investment. if you're not in the US, it may not be as cost effective.

GPU overheating issue? Early 2011, i7 2,0Ghz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.