Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I get the iPod touch 5 or the iPad Mini?

I have enough money to get either the iPod Touch 5th generation or the iPad mini. Those are the only devices I want, so please no suggesting other ones. I would use it for playing games on, using iMovie (so taking lots of pictures and videos) and playing and storing lots of music. I'm a writer so I would probably use writing apps on it as well. I was planning on getting an iPod 5, and then my mom enlightened me to the fact that I could buy this too, and now I'm torn. Help a teen choose? If you see this please reply fast! Would like to make this decision and buy today.

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 12:05 PM

1 reply

Jul 29, 2013 1:10 PM in response to sophie.noyes

Hi sophie,

From the description of what you'd use it for, I would go with the Mini. Here's why...

The iPad mini has a bigger screen which I like. For playing games, editing in iMovie, or using writing apps, you'll like the larger screen. Trying to edit in iMovie on a Touch isn't easy (I've done it). Also if you're going to do a lot of writing the onscreen keyboard of the Mini is bigger. You could also set up a bluetooth keyboard to use for a bigger/better keyboard. The Mini has a better camera too (unless you go with one of the two larger drive Touches).

The advantage to the iPod Touch is that it has a Retina display (so the resolution will be better), its smaller (can fit it in your pocket), and it costs less.

Both devices have the A5 dual core processor.

So I would choose the Mini. But if you decide on the Touch, go with the 32 or 64GB versions. The 16 is lacking not only in drive size but in camera quality too.

Good luck!

~Joe

Should I get the iPod touch 5 or the iPad Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.