Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows 8 crashes after installing Apple drivers

Due to an electrical storm, I had a 2 partition drive fail. The Mac partition was corrupted, the Windows 8 (via BootCamp) install was fine. However, I couldn't reformat (or even mount) OS X so decided to reinstall both OSes on their own physical drives within a Mac Pro. Mountain Lion restored from a Time Machine backup and I got Windows 8 up and running, via BootCamp, on the other drive. All seemed well until I went to install the Apple drivers/software where upon my restart from the install I got the BSoD. No matter what I do or how many times I restart, it continuously crashes. Curiously, two randomly spouted errors are offered...

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

and

IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The problem seems to be with the Apple drivers. I used the updated BootCamp 5 software. However, I also used BootCamp 4 software after restoring Windows 8 to a clean install, that set of drivers doing exactly what BC5 did. I've stripped my settings back down to initial install, even reformatted the physical drive, re-partitioned via BootCamp and reinstalled Win8. While working correctly, I set up my account, redownloaded apps I installed from Windows Store, restarted to finish those installations; still, the only issue seems to be when I install the Apple offered drivers. I would just not use them but with many of my peripherals being Apple products it's more of a hassle than I care to deal with. And, I had it all working before with no problem. What's wrong this time? Below I list some concerns...

Is there any difference between installing a BootCamp/Win8 partition on a startup drive or another internal harddrive? Once, BootCamp had to be installed on the startup disk.

Is there any way to install just certain drivers from Apple's software pack since best I can find from MS's site is that the errors seem to be one or two driver incompatibilities?

I've installed Win8 updates prior to and after running Apple's software... would this affect the installation of that software either way or system integrity in Win8?

The above are the only two error messages I've seen. Why do they alternate? Is there more than one issue needing to be addressed?

It all worked before, could it be the software offered now? I've tried BootCamp 4, 5; should I try a lower numbered driver set?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 11:00 AM

2 replies

Dec 16, 2013 8:08 PM in response to chrissome

My apologies for not following up on this topic.

Yes, I found a fix for my issue. It involved the Time Machine backup drive I had installed.

I reinstalled OS X and Win 8 onto the same drive and experimented pulling drives out of the Mac Pro. However, I never removed the Time Machine drive alone, only took the three extra drives out at the same time so I did not which one was causing the crash. It didn't seem to matter which bay it was in, it was the backup itself that Win 8 didn't work with. My Time Machine backup goes back for over a year so I wasn't interested in starting all over so I removed it from the Mac and installed it in an external enclosure. HOWEVER, if this drive is connected and on while booting up in Win 8 the OS will still crash. Within the Mac, it was impossible to keep the backup from mounting. In the external, I have to remember to disconnect when I switch OSes. Not a fix really, but a solid workaround.

If someone wanted to set up a new backup perhaps that would fix the issue completely. Perhaps it's because OS X/startup disk was restored from the backup and the backup have the same data, maybe it's an issue with data on the backup disk and Windows 8. I don't know. But several times, while switching the OSes I have forgotten to disconnect the now external backup and Win 8 crashes; if I remember to disconnect no issues at all.

windows 8 crashes after installing Apple drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.