Skip navigation

PSD files missing plugin

362 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2013 11:41 AM by e2photo RSS
e2photo Level 2 Level 2 (165 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 29, 2013 1:38 PM

When I drag and drop a picture from Aperture that was processed through photoshop and a filter (like Nik) and it is saved as a PSD, when that image is pulled over to FCPX, I get a missing plugin message.  When I do the same process, but as a tiff it seems to be ok. 

Thoughts?

• James Cude Level 4 Level 4 (1,155 points)
    Jul 29, 2013 1:43 PM (in response to e2photo)

Correct- a TIF does not retain the plugin info outside of Photoshop whereas a PSD will. So if you want to bring stills into FCP with Filters, they need to be rendered i.e. exported to a format that flattens filters out first.

• fox_m Level 4 Level 4 (3,335 points)
    Jul 30, 2013 1:38 AM (in response to e2photo)

If you need to save the filter non-destructively in your PSD, I *believe* that converting the layers with filters to Smart Objects will be "respected" in FCPX. (It's late and I don't have time to verify that.)

• fox_m Level 4 Level 4 (3,335 points)
    Jul 30, 2013 10:48 AM (in response to e2photo)

Was the PSD an 8-bit RGB? I don't have any problems importing images with Smart Objects that have filters applied:

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 12.42.17 PM.png

The above contains 2 smart objects with artistic filters, masks, adjustment layers (levels, hue-saturation). All of these filters and adjustment layers are still available in the saved PSD file - nothing was rasterized. It imports into FCPX as a 2-layered PSD and each layer is individually accessible.

Rasterizing is a "destructive" edit.

PSDs must be 8-bit RGB mode in order to receive "full support" in FCPX.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.