Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PSD files missing plugin

When I drag and drop a picture from Aperture that was processed through photoshop and a filter (like Nik) and it is saved as a PSD, when that image is pulled over to FCPX, I get a missing plugin message. When I do the same process, but as a tiff it seems to be ok.

Thoughts?

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 1:43 PM

Correct- a TIF does not retain the plugin info outside of Photoshop whereas a PSD will. So if you want to bring stills into FCP with Filters, they need to be rendered i.e. exported to a format that flattens filters out first.

5 replies

Jul 30, 2013 10:48 AM in response to e2photo

Was the PSD an 8-bit RGB? I don't have any problems importing images with Smart Objects that have filters applied:

User uploaded file

The above contains 2 smart objects with artistic filters, masks, adjustment layers (levels, hue-saturation). All of these filters and adjustment layers are still available in the saved PSD file - nothing was rasterized. It imports into FCPX as a 2-layered PSD and each layer is individually accessible.

Rasterizing is a "destructive" edit.

PSDs must be 8-bit RGB mode in order to receive "full support" in FCPX.

Jul 30, 2013 11:41 AM in response to fox_m

Even as 8 bit it does not work saying Plugin missing

FCPX 10.0.8

Aperture 3.4.5

Take a NEF file in Aperture, Open in CS6 with PSD 8 bit, apply Nik Silver Efex Pro filter, convert Silver Efex layer to Smart Object, save changes back into Aperture, drag and drop image into FCPX project or event and get 'Plugin missing' red yellow warning.

Working in TIFF does work.

PSD files missing plugin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.