Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what are the compatible hdd capacities and types for Macbook white 2008?

Yes, I know it's old and there have been several macbook upgrades, etc, blah blah blah... Not really my concern yet.

I want to know the compatible capacities and drive types of internal hard drives for the macbook (early?) 2008 white edition. I bought a 1TB Travelstar that is not being recognized after cloning from my original 160 GB HD. I followed the exact instrucions on installing the drive, and have tried it a couple times. After the drive is installed and the battery has been put back in place, I power on the computer and get the screen with the blinking folder and question mark inside.

Any help and recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 12:51 PM

2 replies

Jul 29, 2013 2:43 PM in response to houstonaire

Any 2.5inch Sata I, II or III drive should be compatible, whether its SSD or HDD.

What are you using to clone the drive? Carbon copy cloner or Apple disc utility? Both are fine, but you need to make sure you're using the correct settings.

If using disc utility, you need to make sure you are selecting the 'Guid partition scheme' option otherwise it will not be bootable.

Jul 29, 2013 2:48 PM in response to Robodisko

I used disk utility to clone the drive, and I'm not sure if I selected GUId Partition Scheme or not, HOWEVER, the drive successfully booted from the external usb enclosure when I restarted to computer to check. I did it twice. I will reinstall the original, and try to boot the new 1 TB drive from the enclosure again. Assuming everything was done correctly, what else could prevent the computer from recognizing the drive?

what are the compatible hdd capacities and types for Macbook white 2008?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.