Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changed IPs - no websites anymore

Ok here is a fun one that I could use a hand with.

Normally with older OSX server this would be an easy fix but we've for some reason upgraded from snow leopard server to mountain lion.

Well unfortunately we just changed corporate headquarters locations and we've had to go through some IP address changes.

With this change, I've been unable to get our websites to load on our new addresses.

Can someone walk me through this assuming I know nothing about mac osx web hosting?

Here is what I've done:

Go to Network, change the static IP settings to our new ones.

Go to Server app, change host name, and IP address

Go to Web in server app, change the websites to match the new IP addresses.

Restarted the servers.

I can remote desktop to the server from home.

We want to avoid reformatting the entire server and starting over, but changing things in server.app does not seem to solve the problem and get our websites back online. Please assist, thanks for any helpful information.

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 6:02 PM

6 replies

Jul 29, 2013 8:09 PM in response to defmetal

There are a number of dependencies on the server's IP address.

Apple provide a script that updates most of the dependencies, so you should use that any time you change your server's address:

/usr/sbin/changeip <oldIP> <newIP>

(you might need to search for changeip since it's location varies across different OS versions)

No guarantee it'll fix your problem, but it's a start, and worth doing anyway.

If it doesn't, check the Apache error logs (/var/log/http/error_log by default) to see if there are any startup warnings.

Jul 30, 2013 10:46 AM in response to defmetal

Actually in mountaion lion server, as an FYI to anyone else who might need to know, you can just type "sudo changeip xx yy" and it works.

Unfortunately, websites still will not load on the server. Although I'm still able to remote desktop just fine and my websites are assigned their IP addresses. So the server knows it has those IPs, and they work in locating the server, just not for web sites in server.app.

Just a friendly edit btw:

I obivously changed the IPs at domain registrar to point to the right one. So it's entirely confined as a problem in the server.

Also, previously typing in the servers Ip address into a web browser would bring up the server page, which now brings up nothing. So the web app appears to not be recieving those IPs.

Jul 31, 2013 3:25 PM in response to Camelot

Under 10.8.4:

> locate changeip

WARNING: The locate database (/var/db/locate.database) does not exist.

To create the database, run the following command:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locate.plist

Please be aware that the database can take some time to generate; once

the database has been created, this message will no longer appear.

Jul 31, 2013 3:40 PM in response to defmetal

I'm just going through the same thing... one other problem which happens is that the hostname and server names get "confused."...

Using Server Manager/ select the server/ select network tab...

verify that the "Host name" is the correct internet address... click the edit tab -- the bloody server manger app will want to append .home to the hostname entry.

The page will also display the IP address involved.

Note that this will (hopefully) propigate the change(s) to other services under OSX Server on Mountain Lion.

I'm finding lots of issues that OSX Server is having while trying to change addresses/hostnames....

Watch the log file via console while you are starting and stopping services... also frequent reboots are necessary to verify that certain changes "hold"!!!!!!

I'm still looking for "the rest" of the solutions...

Changed IPs - no websites anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.