Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to upgrade RAM on Macbook Pro 15" (Mid-2010).

Hi I have a Macbook Pro 6,2 (Mid 2010 / 15-inch) with an intel core i7 processor 2.66GHz, and I recently tried to upgrade my 4GB RAM to an 8GB RAM, after making sure online and from the tech specs that my computer can handle 8GB. Whenever I startup after installing the 8GB it stays stuck at the Apple logo startup screen, but when I put my old 4GB RAM back in it starts up normally, anyone know why?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 6:53 PM

Are the RAM specs as shown below?

Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

15 replies

Jul 29, 2013 7:07 PM in response to ramy245

ramy245 wrote:

...Whenever I startup after installing the 8GB it stays stuck at the Apple logo startup screen, but when I put my old 4GB RAM back in it starts up normally, anyone know why?

Since it works when you use Apple's RAM, the problem is most likely the RAM you were sold. Unfortunately, all RAM isn't created equal so the vendor is an important part of the equation, both selling RAM that actually works with Macs and standing behind their product when it doesn't. This vendor does both.

See if you can get your money back.

Trying to upgrade RAM on Macbook Pro 15" (Mid-2010).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.