Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Goflex thunderbolt Adapter and it wont power up my seagate 4TB external HD!

anybody else have this problem?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 8:02 PM

2 replies

Jul 30, 2013 4:23 AM in response to imacdiddi

Taken from a review of the system on Amazon. This sequence worked for me....

========================= from Amazon review ============

1. Install the Seagate driver that comes with the drive (on a separate USB flash) and reboot the Mac.

2. If you have used and re-partitioned the drive with USB 3.0 make sure to copy your files off of the drive for they will be lost when connecting the Thunderbolt connector.

3. Connect the Thunderbolt interface to the drive.

4. Connect the drive to the Mac using Thunderbolt.

5. At this point a re-partition will be required if the drive was used and re-partitioned with the USB 3.0 interface before the Thunderbolt interface. As this was the case with both of my drives this is the case I am most familiar with. In this case when connected with the Thunderbolt the system will see the drive as a 500 GB Master Boot Record drive which won't work properly with Mac OS X. You will know this is the situation because when connected the OS will inform you that it cannot read the drive and it must be initialized. After re-partitioning if necessary erase the drive to make sure it is in the proper format for your use. For most this will be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

=========================================

Goflex thunderbolt Adapter and it wont power up my seagate 4TB external HD!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.