Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dealing with "original file can't be found" error

Througout my collection, I am files that for a random set of reasons have slightly incorrect paths in the itunes library.xml file so itunes cannot find the files and therefore can't do anything with them. Usually it has to do with how the song has been formatted. I suspect it is bug(s) with iTunes' reformatting of song titles when you tell it to organize your library as the differences are things like a missing "0" before the track number, no hyphen after the track number, etc...

In any case, it is pretty much hopeless to attempt to automate the process of fixing it, and least painful manual way of doing it is is to click "locate" when itunes gives you the error message and use spotlight to find the file by name.

My problem is how can I identify these problem tracks within itunes? I can see these songs in the brower as they have the ⚠ icon at the start of the line, but I cannot find a way to filter for these songs or sort them. Is there a way to do this or achieve a result within iTunes so that I can at least have a list of the songs I need to fix in front of me to do this dreaded task?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 10:35 PM

Try this script: http://dougscripts.com/123

1 reply

Dealing with "original file can't be found" error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.