Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serious Bug in Various OSX regarding waking probably needs investigation from apple

I have a problem with 2 MBP's that both have fresh installs which are experiencing the same problem of not waking from sleep. There are countless other people on several OS versions experiencing a variety of problems similar to mine. But when two computers with fresh installs are showing the same problem, I can only conclude that there is a an OS issue at play. The only thing different about these computers is that they have Samsung SSD's in them. One of them has added ram from an apple expert but not the apple store. The other has original ram from the apple store.

here's my problematic thread which nobody can help with

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5185433

here are countless other people dealing with the same or similar unsolvable problem. The thread is marked "solved" but then the poster revoked that status informally later on:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4326602?start=240&tstart=0

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Quad Core i7 17", Samsung 512 SSD

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 10:59 PM

10 replies

Jul 30, 2013 12:58 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

obviously not everybody is having the problem, most macs go to sleep and wake up as they should. I wasn't suggesting that this is generally pandemic. But its also not a fluke that totally unique to my computers. It might be unique to those who swap aftermarket SSD's into their computers. But that swap is pretty normal and highly recomended upgrade out there, which apple doesn't provide an upgrade path for to my knowlage. So its worth investigating to help solve bugs for those poppular SSD drives, or creating a list of approved SSD drives.

As for reporting to apple, great idea, thank you for the link.

Jul 30, 2013 2:30 PM in response to tjdp01

tjdp01 wrote:

here's my problematic thread which nobody can help with

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5185433

I don't know if "nobody can help" is true or not. You have a couple of questionable issues.

First, one of these machines is used. That's a total non-starter. You are lucky the thing boots at all after everything that has been poured into that keyboard. Seriously. These are Macs. People don't sell them unless they need to get rid of them.

Second, you claim it is a fresh install but that you transferred all of your information to it. Curiously, both exhibit the same problem. This leads me to suspect that your install isn't so fresh after all.

You might try running a little diagnostic program to help show what might be causing these problems. Download EtreCheck from http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck, run it, and paste the results here or in your other thread.

Disclaimer: Although EtreCheck is free, there are other links on my site that could give me some form of compensation, financial or otherwise.

Jul 30, 2013 8:13 PM in response to etresoft

I don't know if "nobody can help" is true or not. You have a couple of questionable issues.

I only meant that nobody on the forum on my first thread on this topic took a stab at my question. I think becasue I've done everytlhign that most people would recomend, and I've gotten nowhere. And many people in the other similar threads were unable to solve virtually the same problem. So I can't say that NOBODY can answer my question. I just mean nobody has tried to answer my question, and maybe apple might be interested in the subject.

First, one of these machines is used. That's a total non-starter. You are lucky the thing boots at all after everything that has been poured into that keyboard. Seriously. These are Macs. People don't sell them unless they need to get rid of them.

Great Question. In this case, this mac came from a close freind professional video editor who needed a retina. It had been turned on 25 times before I bought it from him. Mint condition. No spills.

Second, you claim it is a fresh install but that you transferred all of your information to it. Curiously, both exhibit the same problem. This leads me to suspect that your install isn't so fresh after all.

Its definitely possible. I cloned each hard drive on each computer to a backup drive, and I also made time machine backups. I put those aside and have not used them since. then I performed a clean re-install by doing the following steps recomended by apple:

1. Choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.
  2. If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu (in the top-right corner of the screen).
  3. Select Disk Utility, and then click Continue.
  4. Select your startup disk from the list on the left, and then click the Erase tab.
  5. From the Format pop-up menu, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled), enter a name for your disk, and then click Erase.
  6. After the disk is erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.
  7. Select Reinstall OS X, click Continue, and then follow the instructions.

I chose not to migrate any information onto the new build, just to make sure the sleep problem was solved first. But it wasnt' solved. Next i did this on the second computer and the same problem persisted.

So I'm lost.

But you may have a point about the fullness of the re-install, maybe there is a deeper kind of re-install I can do. One very suspicious thing I noticed is that the old owner's name showed up in the terminal when I was trying another technique to solve this problem where you go into terminal and change the hybernate mode from 3 to 0 or some other number. (I did this only today, I've not messed around in the terminal prior to my problems). In fact this did imporove my problem but I noticed that it asked for a password for the user, under the old user's name - sean. So at least one of the computers has retained some old info. BTW, after setting the hybernate mode to 0 when i close the lid, the computer

So I'd love to do the full labotomy, but I'm not sure how. I have no disc for OS 10.8 and I've followed apple's instructions for an erase and re-install on two systems with the same problem.

As of now, the sleep mode has gotten better my altering the hibernate mode to 0. Now it wakes up, and occasionally ejects the drives and goes to sleep then wakes up again afer I re-open the lid, but it seems most of the time do what it's suppsoed to do. So thats a big improvement!

Jul 31, 2013 8:26 AM in response to tjdp01

tjdp01 wrote:

Great Question. In this case, this mac came from a close freind professional video editor who needed a retina. It had been turned on 25 times before I bought it from him. Mint condition. No spills.

I try to maintain a healthy skepticism regarding what anonymous people on the intenet tell me. That is based on how little turns out to be true from what people I know personally tell me. Please dont' be offended if I don't have much confidence in what the anonymous friend of an anonymous person on the internet says.

Again, you are telling me things that just don't, simply can't, add up. If you are erased the hard drive and didn't migrate anything to it, then you shoudn't have any conflicting 3rd party software. Of course, if you had done that then you wouldn't have old user's account information either. Considering the fact that you installed new SSD drives into these machines then I'm really at a loss to understand how the old user's information migrated onto those drives all by itself.

If the machine has been turned on a total of 25 times, then it should still be under warranty. Put the original hard drive back in and, if you can reproduce the problem, take it in for service. If you can't reproduce the problem then send the SSD drives back to Samsung and get your money back.

Serious Bug in Various OSX regarding waking probably needs investigation from apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.