Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3 backup/copy (before removing from computer all together to make space)

Hi All,

I have Aperture 3 running on a 128gb 2011 MacBook Air. The problem is I have run out of space. The other problem is I am living out of a 33l bag and cannot carry all sorts of external drives for multiple backups. I'm using Time Machine on the one external drive I have with me.

At the present time I have been backing up all versions to the cloud (to Picasa, using the exporter plugin) and I have the 'best' photos elsewhere on the cloud too. Once they are safely in the cloud I have been deleting most of them from my laptop. I have come to the conclusion that this is not the best system as I have already gone back to try and re-edit after downloading from the cloud and obviously I don't have the masters anymore. (I can't re-crop or put colour back into a shot I made b+w for instance) (There is no way I can keep everything on my computer - we've been living out of small backpacks and traveling for almost 2 years now - that's a lot of photos)

I have a new camera and want to start shooting in RAW. It is a 24mp camera so the files are obviously large. I need more room to work!

Ideally I would like to remove, say, most of the files that are more than a few months old from my computer. But, I want them to be saved completely - original, master, version, keywords, and project structures etc onto my (partitioned) external drive. (as well as continuing to put the versions in the cloud.) Then, delete them from my computer and have lots more space.

After all that, which is the best way to move them to the external drive whilst saving all the information about each image? Should I just take a copy of the whole library at this time then have a good old clear out? Would I then be able to access those pics without importing the whole thing back in?

Extra info: Aperture is version 3.4.3 on Lion. Oh, and I'm using the 'shared' iphoto library system from the time before I had Aperture. Library is over 40GB, And, one thing I don't want to do is have the entire library on the external drive. I use the laptop out and about all the time and I don't want to have to take the drive with me. I know I should have TM backing up all the time but once every few days is enough for me with the other back-up systems I have in place.

Bonus question: would I use the same process for making a second complete copy of everything in the cloud?

Thanks in advance experts! 🙂

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 12:26 AM

4 replies

Aug 2, 2013 5:07 AM in response to CranberryJen

I have done that long time ago as I shoot RAW for a while now. SSDs and RAW filies just don't like each other. Ore you are a millionaire ....

Anyway, here is my expereience.

I started with a 2.5" USB2 drive. Far to slow. Keep in mind, when you edit the files you need to load them.

I bought a LACIE Firewire-800 which worked much better.

Then I needed more space, my new Macbook no longer supports Firewire so I swithced to USB-3 dives in RAID-0. That was a bad move. I nearly never managed to get USB-3 speed, no clue if it was the cables or der cases or whatever.

Now that I have 24M Pixel Raws I have migrated all files to an LACIE Thunderbolt drive and ar so happy. There ar more options than the LACIE I choose, but I am so happy with it. Only disatvantage: I have over 3TB now and now need disks with external power supply. Pretty bad thing for a Laptop. Constantly thinking of migrating to Lighroom as they support proxy files in their library so that you can edit on them and have the real RAWs on the external drive at home.

Conclusion:

With RAW files on external drive speed is really an issue and USB-3 is not really reliable. So it is worth considering the extra bucks for Thunderbolt drives.

One more thing: When moving the RAWs from one drive to another, Aperture will not find them, but it is pretty simple to tell Aperture in one step ( ! ) where to find the directories and subdirectories on the new drive. This works way better than with Lightroom.

Aug 2, 2013 7:15 PM in response to Elfpunkt

Good to know, cheers.

I have a USB 3 drive but my computer only supports USB 2. As I've moved my older images which I am no longer editing I should not have to worry about the speed too much. Also, all the older images at the moment are jpeg not RAW so I'm sweeping that issue under the carpet for a while too!

I've gone from 2 to 23 GB space by moving some of the older files, changing my Mail settings and making use of other free cloud storages like Skydrive and Google Drive (I was already using Dropbox, iCloud and Picasa) Oh, and I ran monolingual which saved another 1GB.

At least I have room to import what is on my camera now!

Aperture 3 backup/copy (before removing from computer all together to make space)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.