Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Correct placement of applications folder

Hi people.

I am about to complete an extensive backup of my homefolder, before creating a new user account to free up some disk space. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1974

While double checking everything, I am concerned that there are zero items in the applications folder inside my homefolder. The applications are all found in the Applications icon in 'places' right beneith the homefolder.

Will the applications resurface in the new user account, or do i need to copy them as well.

Any suggestions are warmly welcome.

Thanks

JGS

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 5:54 AM

It's normal that you don't see your apps inside the Applications folder in your user's folder. By default, OS X stores applications in /Applications and not in ~/Applications. The only difference is that apps stored in /Applications can be run in all users, and apps in ~/Applications are designed to run in one user.

You don't have to worry about that, so everything is working correctly

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2013 5:54 AM in response to Jamilhere

It's normal that you don't see your apps inside the Applications folder in your user's folder. By default, OS X stores applications in /Applications and not in ~/Applications. The only difference is that apps stored in /Applications can be run in all users, and apps in ~/Applications are designed to run in one user.

You don't have to worry about that, so everything is working correctly

Correct placement of applications folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.