Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make external Hard Drive accessible only on Administrator account?

I have an external Hard Drive connected with USB to my Mac at all times. It is password protected. Once I put the password in my account (the administator account), when I log out and log in with a Guest account or secondary account they have access to the hard drive as well. How can I refrain access to the hard drive from all accounts besides my own?

iMac 21.5, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz RAM

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 11:27 AM

Select the volume icon in the Finder and open the Info window. Click the padlock icon in the lower right corner of the window and enter your administrator password when prompted. Uncheck the box at the bottom marked

Ignore ownership on this volume

Use the plus- and minus-sign buttons in the Sharing & Permissions section to give yourself read & write access, and remove all other access settings. Close the Info window.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2013 11:27 AM in response to trenten7

Select the volume icon in the Finder and open the Info window. Click the padlock icon in the lower right corner of the window and enter your administrator password when prompted. Uncheck the box at the bottom marked

Ignore ownership on this volume

Use the plus- and minus-sign buttons in the Sharing & Permissions section to give yourself read & write access, and remove all other access settings. Close the Info window.

How to make external Hard Drive accessible only on Administrator account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.