Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clean up macbook air for sale

I'm going to be selling my MacBook Air in a few months for a newer, larger version.

What steps should I take to make sure my data is wiped clean and inaccessible from the buyer and any future users?

As a MacBook Air, of course, I don't have any discs or an external DVD/CD drive. I do have access to a PC if that helps; I don't know.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 8:46 AM

What version of OS X came on your Mac when it was new? If Lion or Mountain Lion then you reinstall that version after you wipe the drive.

4 replies

Jul 30, 2013 12:59 PM in response to ultradadd

You must return it to the original shipping version of OS X. In your case that would be Lion. You can do that from the Online Internet Recovery system. At startup hold down the Command+Option/Alt+r keys until you see a globe on the screen. Once that loads use disk utility to "Re-Partition" the drive as One partition (you must do that to remove the Mountain Lion Recovery HD partition). Once that is done exit Disk Utility and select Reinstall Mac OS X from the list of options.

Lion will be downloaded from the internet (at some point you will need to select your WiFi sign name and type in your password for the WiFi so have them handy) and when the download is finished the system will reboot and the install will start.

ultradadd wrote:

Thanks, LowLuster.

It was Lion; I upgraded to Mountain Lion earlier this year.

How do you suggest I revert back to Lion, without the discs? (MBA)

clean up macbook air for sale

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.