Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the mail folder in Mtn. Lion?

I am setting up Time Machine to back up the files on my iMac. I want to exclude Applications, the System, and related files for space reasons, but want to make sure that I get a backup of my e-mail files. I have searched for the MAIL folder but can't find it. What is the path to where the e-mails are stored in Mountain Lion? Thanks

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 9:21 AM

3 replies

Jul 30, 2013 9:39 AM in response to mende1

Hmm - out of curiosity - would the User Library be part of the System deep down in the file hierarchy?

@ ReidMac:

Not sure if excluding the System (or Applications for that matter) would be wise - it may prevent you from being able to restore from Time Machine in case your system is borked? If size is of concern - and since Time Machine keeps making backups until the disk/partition is full - have you considered a different backup strategy, such as a bootable clone which needs exactly the same amount of space as your system currently uses?

Jul 30, 2013 10:02 AM in response to ReidMac

ReidMac wrote:

I am setting up Time Machine to back up the files on my iMac. I want to exclude Applications, the System, and related files for space reasons, but want to make sure that I get a backup of my e-mail files. I have searched for the MAIL folder but can't find it. What is the path to where the e-mails are stored in Mountain Lion? Thanks

Don't set any exclusions, if more space is needed use a larger drive, if that is not acceptable use a different backup system.

Where is the mail folder in Mtn. Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.