Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Airport Extreme & Xbox Live "Moderate NAT" ?

Recently upgraded to a new 802.11ac AirPort Extreme base station. Now I'm having NAT troubles with my Xbox 360 and connecting to Xbox Live.

An Xbox network check says I have "moderate NAT". The Xbox will log me into Xbox Live, but I can't connect to any marketplace to download demos or videos. Also games say I'm not connected to Xbox Live.

Anyone else have this problem or was able to fix it?

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 9:22 AM

12 replies

Jul 30, 2013 10:28 AM in response to Navarro Parker -

That Arris model is a gateway.....it is a modem/router combination....not a simple modem.

So, you have two routers on the network. The Arris is providing NAT service, so too is the AirPort Extreme...and you wind up with what is known as Double NAT.

Make sure that the AirPort Extreme is configured to operate in Bridge Mode, which will turn off the NAT service on the AirPort Extreme. Click the Update button to save the new setting if you make any changes.

User uploaded file

Jul 30, 2013 11:03 AM in response to Navarro Parker -

I do not use Back to My Mac, so cannot answer that question.

Otherwise, the Guest Network function of the AirPort will not work when it is configured to operate in Bridge Mode.

If you find that the AirPort is already configured in Bridge Mode....then the NAT issues are coming from some other device on the network, since NAT is turned off when the AirPort is in Bridge Mode.

Jul 30, 2013 11:20 AM in response to Navarro Parker -

My experience is that it is very difficult to impossible to configure a modem/router to operate as a simple modem.

The AirPort does not run DD-WRT, so I doubt that the link above would help you. The ISP will also likely tell you that they do not support the device in that type of configuration. Might be a good idea to check with them first, before you make any changes.

Life would be tons easier if you used a simple modem with your Time Warner service. Then, the AirPort could be configured to work as the only router for the network.

Something like a Motorola SB6141 or Netgear CMD31T are approved for use with Time Warner's service.

Jul 30, 2013 11:36 AM in response to Navarro Parker -

Something like a Motorola SB6141 or Netgear CMD31T are approved for use with Time Warner's service.

I think you may have gotten the model number from above mixed up.

High Speed Cable Modem DOCSIS 3.0 (CMD31T) - Netgear

I use and highly recommend this modem.

Other Time Warner recommended modems are here:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/internet/buy- your-modem.html

New Airport Extreme & Xbox Live "Moderate NAT" ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.