Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OK, Which Type of Firewire Cable Do I Need? Connecting Mac Mini to eMac For File Transfer?

Old eMac not working, you all tell me I need a firewire cable to clear all my files to my new Mac Mini, I just looked them up, eMac says "Firewire 400", while Mini says "Firewire 800". Is this going to work? I had tons of my CDs and over 25,000 photos in eMac. I don't have hard copies of them. I had tried years ago to burn CDs of the pix, when I got my laptop, but when I opened them, phooey, many were only thumbnails. I'm not sure what type the connection on my Seagate 1.5TB Ext HD is. I didn't format it to make the Mac switch when I came to the Mini from the Windows laptop. I didn't have it when the eMac was working. Now, anyone able to tell me what cable I need, please help.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Samsung Display

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 10:18 AM

You need a FW cable with FW 400 on one end and FW 800 on the other end. Or you can get a cable with FW400 on each end and a FW 800 to FW 400 adopter. That is what I use.

10 replies

Jul 30, 2013 11:01 AM in response to lllaass

But, now another part to my question, how many pins in each end? Why do all manufacturers like to confound me? I know, it's about planned obsoles?sence? So, I still haven't unburied the eMac, it doesn't say in its manual how many pins. Oh, after holding my mini flashlight in my mouth and using my magnifying glass I count 9 pins in the hole in the Mac Mini. Anybody have a def number on the eMac?

Jul 30, 2013 11:11 AM in response to LINDA CATE

.I do not know the number of pins. The follow shows a FW 800 to FW 400 adopter. The FR 400 is a female and is on the right and accepts a cable.

The FW 800 is on the left and is a male and goes into a FW connectory on the FR 800 device. The FW 800 is more square than the FW 400.

http://www.pricefalls.com/products/Firewire-400-To-800-Cbl-Case-Pack-2/id/737232 24?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=PLA&utm_content=39914151151&utm_ca mpaign=pla-listings

Aug 2, 2013 7:28 AM in response to lllaass

OK, I went to the local Apple bar at Best Buy, got the cable. Oh, my, will I need to hook up a mouse & keyboard to both computers at the same time? I only use the eMac one at this time. I need to get out my roll-up keyboard & wireless mouse, and figure out why they wouldn't work with Mac Mini. This is going to take some time and thought.

Aug 2, 2013 8:00 AM in response to LINDA CATE

You'll need to connect the keyboard to the eMac when you start it up. As soon as you hear the startup chime, hold the 'T' key to start it up in FireWire Target Disk mode. You'll see the FireWire logo appear on the eMac screen and at that point you can unplug the keyboard.

Start up the other computer as normal and the eMac's hard drive should appear on the desktop like an external drive. Copy files by dragging them from the eMac to your new computer.

OK, Which Type of Firewire Cable Do I Need? Connecting Mac Mini to eMac For File Transfer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.