Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue connecting with PC office network

I have a macbook pro in an office of PCs. Our sharedrive is located on a desktop PC, and my mac will not connect to that PC on the network about 95% of the time. I recieve the following message: "There was a problem connecting to the server "XXX" Check the server name or IP address, and then try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator."

Has anyone faced a similar issue? Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 1:22 PM

1 reply

Apr 2, 2014 10:09 PM in response to IPSInstitute

Hi,

Yes, exactly, and glad you mentioned the PC, as that is my situation too. My Macbook Pro runs OS 10.8.5 and is connected to a windows workgroup of my own administration (home office). None of my other macbooks ever experience this, and it sometines points to my one PC, a Dell Optiplex running Win7 "[There was a problem connecting to the server bruce-PC"]. Other times it refers to the server by ip address.

In both cases, a simple "ping" command shows that the "problem" server is responding normally, 64 bytes coming back in about 1.2 - 1.8 ms.

This behavior started back in Leopard days, sporadically, then stopped for a while eventually after upgrading to Mountain Lion, to started again last year, stopped again, now started again intermittently and is now NOT stopping. Makes the computer unusable, which ***** cuz it just went out of 3-year Applecare but still works great otherwise and I need it to composite edit and edit my short films and to teach classes at New YorkUniversity.

I WAS using Network Magic for my Network admin -- great software, actually, but I just uninstalled it to eliminate that as a factor. No diff. CANNOT make it stop.

HELP!

Issue connecting with PC office network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.