Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade my old mac to Lion - already purchased for my laptop

So a while back I purchased a macbook pro and paid to upgrade to Lion. I didn't want to quite switch my 2008 iMac because I still loved using the "chat" app and didn't want it to convert to iMessage just yet. Well, now I'd like to upgrade the iMac to Lion so that I can make the switch easier when the new OS comes out this fall. Wondering how to do this? Both computers have the same apple ID but when I go into the iTunes store it shows that Lion is 19.99 still. Wondering how to upgrade the iMac for free?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 3:28 PM

4 replies

Jul 30, 2013 3:34 PM in response to macprogirly

If you have 10.6.8 installed on your old Mac, then log into the App Store with your Apple ID and re-download Lion from your Purchases list. Note that Lion is not required to upgrade to Mountain Lion or later. However, if your old computer cannot upgrade to Mountain Lion then it cannot upgrade past Lion at all.

Jul 30, 2013 3:35 PM in response to macprogirly

When on the iMac if you logged into the MAc App Store using the same Apple ID you used to purchase Lion then it should show in your Purchased list.

If it doesn't then something is wrong. Either you are using the wrong ID or else the copy of Lion on the MBP came with it when purchased.

If you are sure you are using the right ID and the purchase was from the MAS then you will need to contact Apple to get it fixed.

Upgrade my old mac to Lion - already purchased for my laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.