Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optical Audio -> Analog Audio Adapter?

I have been thinking for a while about buying an Apple TV.

One of the main reasons I want an Apple TV is for streaming music through the Apple TV into my stereo system WITHOUT having the TV turned on.

So this means I need to use the Optical Audio port to go straight into the stereo.

I have a Kenwood XD-551 stereo system which is reasonably old and only has Analog Audio input. That means I can't connect an Apple TV to the stereo using an optical audio cable. Is there an adapter I can buy that connects Optical Audio to Analog Audio?

I know I can stream music to the speakers through an AirPort Express (I have a 3.5mm to Analog cable), but I want an Apple TV also to stream HD Movies and TV Shows from iTunes, as well as AirPlay Mirroring from my iPod Touch.

My current set up:

TV --- 3.5mm jack to Analog Audio Input --- Stereo

My intended setup:

Apple TV --- HDMI --- TV

Apple TV --- Optical Audio to Analog Audio Input --- Stereo

I REALLY NEED A SOLUTION TO THIS OR ELSE I MAY NOT END UP BUYING AN APPLE TV

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 4:33 AM

Don't count on being able to stream music with the TV turned off. The ability or non-ability to do this seems to change from one version of the Apple TV software to the next.

For digital to analogue conversion, you will want a DAC (Example Only - Not a recommendation or suggestion that this is suitable in your circumstances)

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2013 4:33 AM in response to Gandalf232

Don't count on being able to stream music with the TV turned off. The ability or non-ability to do this seems to change from one version of the Apple TV software to the next.

For digital to analogue conversion, you will want a DAC (Example Only - Not a recommendation or suggestion that this is suitable in your circumstances)

Jul 31, 2013 5:42 AM in response to Gandalf232

Once you have established a connection to the receiever that works, having the TV turned on is not necessary for music. You will need to either using AirPlay from the Touch (if that is the source of your music files), or the Remote app (I assume this works on the touch as well, but can't say first hand; also assumes an online source such as your itunes purchases in the cloud, or iTunes Match).

I will add, that as old as my receiver is, it does have an optical audio cable port. I haven't tried a conversion adapter to RCA personally. It should work and provide a reasonable sound quality, albiet not as clean as the optical port.

Jul 31, 2013 1:07 PM in response to Gandalf232

Gandalf232 wrote:

Does it make much difference to the sound quality of I AirPlay straight from my iPod?

I wouldn't think so, but already had iTunes Match when I got the AppleTV, so haven't used it much.

And the stereo is very good quality and sounds very 'clean' to me when going direct from my iPod through a 3.5mm to RAC cable.

I would think, using an optical to RCA translator as linked above, you should get comparible quality.

Dec 21, 2013 8:51 AM in response to Gandalf232

Hey,

I had the exact same problem. Didn't want to turn on my TV to stream audio to my Apple TV from my iPhone. I went to radioshack, bought a DAC ($40, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12075975) and problem solved. It converted the optical output from the Apple TV to analog (a 3.5 mm audio jack output) and works great !

Apr 16, 2014 8:26 AM in response to alexei.chemenda

I am also looking for a exactly a similar setup.

streaming music through the Apple TV into my stereo system WITHOUT having the TV turned on

@alexei Ok, so this solution works with you. just to understand the setup,

1. you connected the apple tv's 'optical digital-audio port' to a DAC using which kind of cable ? links from amazon or other websites will be very useful.
  2. Output from this DAC, you connected to the speaker via 3.5mm jack, correct? again a cable name (both ends) will be extreemly helpful.
  3. With this when you airplayed music on 'apple tv' via itunes just the audio played on your speaker, correct? assuming your TV turned off during the music play.
  4. And when you airplayed video/movies on 'apple tv' it automatically played on your TV.
  5. Just wanted to know, you see only one airplay configured on your iphone/ipad correct ?

If this exact setup works with you..then bingo..I can go ahead buy all those stuff. If you have a different set-up with which you play music and video sepeartely using apple tv then please do share..

Your answers to these quesions will help me to decide if I need to buy Apple TV for music(which is equally important) and watching movies. And the invetsment dosent stop there..therz DAC and cables.

Thanks!

PS: I know I can stream music to the speakers through an AirPort Express, but want to go for apple tv.

Apr 16, 2014 8:49 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

James Ward4 wrote:

I will add, that as old as my receiver is, it does have an optical audio cable port. I haven't tried a conversion adapter to RCA personally. It should work and provide a reasonable sound quality, albiet not as clean as the optical port.

It actually entirely depends on the quality of the DAC... if the external DAC is of better quality than the one in your reciever it will actually sound better... remember the signal needs be converted to analog at some point for it to come out of your speakers so you either have an external DAC does it or you reciever do it if it does D/A conversion... the quality you end up with is just a factor of the quality of the DAC internal or external to the reciever..

Optical Audio -> Analog Audio Adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.