Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch second gen sound issue fix?

I have an old iPod touch, a second generation 8GB model. All audio outputted by the device, be it through headphones or speakers, comes out as static. When using headphones, the problem occasionally does not occur with the volume at or near maximum. I think this may be a software issue, but am not sure. The iPod is running iOS 4.2.1, and was working perfectly fine up until two days ago. I have restored the iPod, and that did nothing. My headphones do work, I have tested the iPod with multiple pairs, and they haven't given off any static sound. There is no Apple store within a hundred miles of me, so it is not an option to bring it to one.

iPod touch, iOS 4.2, Second Generation

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 10:59 PM

3 replies

Jul 31, 2013 1:10 AM in response to OrionC

Confusing...

All audio outputted by the device, be it through headphones or speakers, comes out as static.

and later you said

My headphones do work, I have tested the iPod with multiple pairs, and they haven't given off any static sound.

So the output from headphones is static or it is not static...?

If you did a Restore on the iPod, that should rule out software corruption, or problem with settings. So the most likely cause is a hardware fault.

When you do something basic, such as change the ringer tone sound or sound volume (on the iPod's Settings screen), does that sound also come out as static?

Jul 31, 2013 5:02 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

In reference to using my headphones, I meant they don't give off static when being used with a working device, the iPod only gives off static. The iPod makes static noises when any sound is played through it, including the lock and unlock sounds, charging sounds, and volume adjust sounds. This issue happens through both headphones and speakers. I have restored the iPod, wiped everything from iTunes. Is there a type of hardware fault that fries all audio from the device?

Message was edited by: OrionC. Grammatical error fixed.

Jul 31, 2013 9:00 AM in response to OrionC

Since the sound coming from all audio outputs has the same problem, the cause is likely to be "upstream" at the single source of the audio signal. That's probably somewhere on the logic board. The audio outputs themselves (headphone jack and speakers) may be fine.

Since you did a Restore, it is probably not related to a software or settings problem. Since the problem occurs even when the sound is from a system event, it's not because you are playing media files that are corrupted.

Although there may not be an Apple Store nearby, you may have an Apple service provider closer who can help diagnose the problem. This web page may help find one.

https://locate.apple.com

iPod touch second gen sound issue fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.